Lifting a 2002 Liberty on a budget

Chevy

Reaction score
...Its a spindle. I will argue that all day. When im on a computer and not my phone I will be glad to prove it. The knuckle is where the tie rod mounts

SUPERD

Reaction score
You can argue with a f'n stump for all I care, you don't know what the f you are talking about!
I'm done with you, was just tryin to help but you allready know everything (you think)!

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend has asked me to help lift his 2002 Jeep Liberty.
Where is your friend that asked you to "help"? Seems like you're doing the work and he's just standing by somewhere.

By re reading your posts, it seems like you think you already know all the answers. It may do you some good to regroup and listen to what some of the more experienced people here are trying to explain to you.

Chevy

Reaction score
Where is your friend that asked you to "help"? Seems like you're doing the work and he's just standing by somewhere.

By re reading your posts, it seems like you think you already know all the answers. It may do you some good to regroup and listen to what some of the more experienced people here are trying to explain to you.

He doesn't have internet. There doesn't seem to be much experience in this thread on these Jeeps, only speculation. Obviously I have the speculation down, I asked questions hoping someone who has gone through with a lift had insight into what it takes to get these Libertys off the ground more and 2.5" for less than the jeepinbyal kits. I should really get my equipment back and start fabricating again but I didn't want it to come to that

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked questions hoping someone who has gone through with a lift had insight into what it takes to get these Libertys off the ground more and 2.5" for less than the jeepinbyal kits.
You've gotten some pretty good responses to your questions considering this is a new web site that has yet to accumulate a large technical section. In post #6 I suggested you visit a KJ specific site by doing a Google, or following the link in my signature. In post #14 someone else also pointed you to the same site as I did where you'll get the answers your looking for.

I think this thread has run it's course.... :beatdeadhorse5:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok guys, lets cool it. Its not really all that big of a deal to argue about? Just move on. Chevy, sorry if you think that these guys didn't help. Looks like they did or tried. No need to start an argument over spindles or knuckles. :shrug:

SUPERD

Reaction score
Repeating incorect terminology doesn't make it correct.
This is from the Chevrolet parts catalog, number 9 should look familiar to you, look at the description in the next page.
24a945f8.jpg

it's not a mopar thing, it's correct terminology!
577f1b0b.jpg

calling a double cardan drive shaft a CV drives shaft doesn't make it so, CV's have balls & races, not u joints in an h yoke

SUPERD

Reaction score

you are more than half wrong, if you had read my post instead of arguing you would have seen where I stated they haven't been called that since vehicles had replaceable wheel bearings, if you look at all of your links, these are all for "older" vehicles that had just that, replaceable wheel bearings, not unitized hubs or "unit bearings" that ALL vehicles have had since the early 90's, these terms are not interchangeable, a spindle has individual wheel bearings, knuckles do not!
I didn't want to start an argument, just trying to enlighten you to the proper terminology so you sound like you know what you are talking about.
I have run a very sucessfull body shop since 1988, I have replaced hundreds of these, spindles and knuckles both, they are not the same thing.
I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, I just don't happen to be this time, you are.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, I think you both won't come to an agreement so just let it go ;)

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shag... this is getting interesting and I think we should get to the bottom of it. If we're going to have good tech sections here, we need to get the answers.

Are there any other IFS experts here with some inputs??

I posted the following question on a Liberty forum:

Does the KJ IFS have a spindle or are they now called unit bearings & knuckles??

There are a lot of suspension experts there, so if anybody wants to follow along, here's the link...

LOST JEEPS • View topic - IFS Question

SUPERD

Reaction score
Last edited:

ridenby

Reaction score
Spindles carry replaceable bearings,the IFS we are discussing does not use spindles.It has knuckles that unit bearings attach to. A Dana 44 out of a 73 Scout has spindles,a Dana 44 out of a 90's model whatever uses unit bearings. After replacing unit bearings,knuckles,LCA on LIbby,I can assure you it has no spindles in front end.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh oh, another user gets involved. You are right AZ, I will keep this open, just make sure this doesn't go to far as in personal attacks and so on. :waytogo:

Chevy

Reaction score
According to the actual definition of a spindle, I am still in the right so quit being so cocky and just admit we are both right. No one cares how long you have been a mechanic.

spin·dle

2. Any of various mechanical parts that revolve or serve as axes for larger revolving parts, as in a lock, axle, phonograph turntable, or lathe.

Sorry my eBay education offends you. I don't feel like arguing about this anymore. Let;s just let it ago and agree is is CALLED both and go from there, Maybe then we can get on the same page and maybe make a positive in this and give better insight to other members rather than just a negative arguement.

And I hope that made sense because I'm a little (lot) drunk right now and it makes sense to me atleast. I'd like us to be on the same page and put arguing behind us. I don't own a Jeep, but hell I might one day. I'd like to be able to have a good standing here if that day ever comes

KJWildman

Reaction score
Liberty Lift

I won't get in to the spindle vs knuckle debate.
Chevy, Stay away from the RK Kit. There have been several members over on LOSTJEEPS.Com that didn't listen and bought this lift and within 6-8 mos were removing it and buying the OME springs and OME, Rancho or Bilstein shocks and struts to replace them. The engineering is just not there and it causes too much stress on the UCA's and upper ball joints. If you go with the Old Man Emu medium or HD springs, and the new shocks and struts then add a clevis spacer and a 3/8" top plate you can get around 3"-3.5". This is about the max you are going to get out of the IFS on the Liberty. A cradle drop is also an option after you get that other stuff on but there is still more involved than just throwing a spacer under the cradle. Even at 3.5" you will still need the new JBA upper control arms to bring the alignment back to factory specs and to keep the factory arms from hitting on the springs. At that height you will also need to get new CV shafts that are shaved down at the splined end about 3/8" to keep them from trashing your diff at full droop. Yes, it gets expensive. The IFS is a lot harder to lift than most people realize. This is not just someone spouting off, if you look at my sig you can see that I DO have just a little experience with the KJ.

Members online

No members online now.