Best way to drain ZJ gas tank and lift kit recs

aharvz

Reaction score
Hey guys so my 95' Grand Cherokee Limited had the death wobble and just felt loose in the front end. The shop I took it too wanted to charge me the following;

1. Tie rod -inner left: $120
2. Tie rod -inner right: $80
3. Tie rod -outer left: $180
4. Tie rod -outer right: $80
5. Trac bar: $190
6. Ball joint -upper: $100
7. Ball joint -lower: $105
8. Motor mount part: $60
9. Motor mount part: $66
10. Trans mount: $70
11. Install suspension: $380
12. Alignment: $60
13. Install mounts: $190
14. Check death wobbles

So I ended up putting repairs on the back burner. Now I have some money saved. I'm def not gonna go to this shop don't even need anybody to tell me what a rip off they are. But now after sitting for over a year the jeep wouldn't even start. So I cleaned and charged the battery. Now it starts but does right away. I'm almost totally sure it's the gas that gone bad after sitting for over a year. So first I'm looking for advice on the best way to drain the tank.

And second. Instead of just replacing/installing these needed parts I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations or suggestions or lift kits that just come with some of these parts? I'd like to lift it 4-5"

AngryRedBird

Reaction score
What Not To Expect From Kits

The Tie Rods, Tracbar & Ball Joints are all sold separately and I've never heard of these three items being included in a lift kit.. However.. as a Wrangler owner.. It has become apparent that there is an issue with bolt being too small in larger holes located on the control arms and tracbar (front & rear).

I'm wondering if the Cherokee could have the same issue.. but some of those items you've listed sell as a single unit.. IE all of the tracbar items can sell as a single unit.

Here's what gets me.. You enter the shop on the grounds that you have a wobble.. exit with a list (half of which) doesn't relate to the wobble.. granted the jeep is hard starting now.. But once you're able to clean out the fuel line and replace the fuel filter (if applicable) I would again focus on the shimmy wobble installation first.

As for the fuel tank.. I've never attempted this but according to most sites.. One will have to remove the tank from the frame (lower/drop) in order to access the fuel/system pump and lines, which are mounted in the center/top of the fuel tank.

Last edited:

aharvz

Reaction score
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (ZJ 5.2 Liter)

Yeah I did go in because of the death wobbles and apparently most the things on the list according to that rip off of a mechanic shop are what is causing this. The additional things on the list like motor mount and the trans mount are from what I was told, just seperate issues that I obviously have to and will address but are not related to the death wobbles.

I was asked by some friends if I wanted to ever lift the jeep in the future and I said yes. This is where my 2nd question derived from. --Because from what I was told- that I could kill two birds with one stone and just get a lift kit that came with these aforementioned needed parts. I was wondering if anybody has any Recs on any specifics. Or if anybody knew if I could get a decent 4"-5" kit that would address the parts listed for the fairest price?

Back to my first question. What is the best way to drain the old gas from my ZJ gas tank? So thanks very much for the feedback @AngryRedBird. Much appreciated

Last edited:

AngryRedBird

Reaction score
It's Apparent that we've stumbled onto a forums out of a few other forums which as all seemingly dyeing off.. if no one is able to support you question/s Then (sad to say) may have to seek an alternative & more active medium. I've been trying to find a good place to hang out myself.. Google+, Facebook and other forums are slow.. too slow for me.. but I created an account here anyway.. GL with your quest.

Members online

No members online now.