zj bumpers

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to start on a set of bumpers hopefully soon, just woundering if anyone on here has built a some for the front of a zj yet?

RockyTop

Reaction score
Most Fab shops will, as long as you give them a launching pad.

Here in Michigan there are two places: Ironman Off Road and JCR Off Road. JCR sells some nice stuff.

Iceland Off Road & Kevin's Off Road sell Z/WJ bumpers. Not saying rip them off, but take some pics to a fab shop and see what you can improve on, etc.

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can do everything myself, just was wounder what other ppl are using coming out the front frame horns cause its not s full frame vehicle and im not use to messing with unibodys.

Underpowered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front bumper is a PITA to work with. most take the two holes at the end of the "frame" horns and cut them out larger, then make plated to slid in so the bumper mounts are inside the frame rails basically.

my bumper however, has 18 bolts just across teh font to spread the load over the whole front end. is it strong? not really, it flexes alot under load, so we avoid using it, but it does work. i plan on re-doing the entire bumper, as basically it was put on in a pinch due to teh stock one getting torn off.

here it is, sorry excuse for a bumper but it works. all it is, is a piece of 2x6x.25 wall box tube welded to a piece of 3x3 angle, the bolted to the front
DSC_1655.jpg

ad602f17.jpg

and the rear is the same material, but mounts to the factory reciever hitch mounting bolts
DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0450.jpg

Underpowered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also suggest doing a skid on the bottom of the bumper. on the ZJ, teh radiator is the lowest hanging part on it. mine ever has factory skids, but teh front only protecs steering components, the lower portion of the radiator is still vulnerable, i found out the hard way.

i plan on doing some real mounts for my bumper, and adding a removable skid to tie into the lower radiator support. i think Kevins offroad makes one for it if you want to buy one or see what they offer to build one yourself maybe.

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was already planing on it, i need mine super strong, i like to hit things.

Underpowered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good deal. i dropped into a mud hole and busted my brand new radiator. it won't go back out without a skid now after that incident.

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive gone threw a mud hole way to fast and came out went threw the air and landed completely vertical and forced the radiator and everything around the motor, also slammed my face into the steering wheel. I just had surgery cause of this so hopefully the doctor will release me where i can get this built, need it done by the 4.4.10 but doesnt look like its gonna happen.

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive gone threw a mud hole way to fast and came out went threw the air and landed completely vertical and forced the radiator and everything around the motor, also slammed my face into the steering wheel. I just had surgery cause of this so hopefully the doctor will release me where i can get this built, need it done by the 4.4.10 but doesnt look like its gonna happen.

:jawdrop:

Members online

No members online now.