Tire size.

narleycarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, you CAN run 33's with stock everything, but you can't do too extreme offroading. You SHOULD run atleast a 2" lift with 33's, but that is that CAN do and SHOULD do thing. 35's you NEED a minimum of 2 or 3" lift, but again, not capable if you wanted to do any climbing, rock stuff or anything else.

But, with 35's you gonna need a gear change, (that's another matter of opinion discussion on what you'd want) (look at some of the other topics if you'd like)

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, you CAN run 33's with stock everything, but you can't do too extreme offroading. You SHOULD run atleast a 2" lift with 33's, but that is that CAN do and SHOULD do thing. 35's you NEED a minimum of 2 or 3" lift, but again, not capable if you wanted to do any climbing, rock stuff or anything else.

But, with 35's you gonna need a gear change, (that's another matter of opinion discussion on what you'd want) (look at some of the other topics if you'd like)
First you need to define extreme on a scale of 1~5 or 1~10 as most clubs do. Check the JK forums, they suggest a fender trim with only a 2" lift for 35's. Many people running 35's go with at least a 3" lift.

Driving skill, having a good spotter and gears will take you a lot farther than you think on 33's or 35's. A JK with 35's is more than capable. In reality... only a small handful of Jeep owners have really built extreme rock crawler rigs.

CT99XJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To whoever asked about the Rubi flares:

They don't add any clearance. What the wider flares do is make it possible for Jeep to put the wider tires on without them being exposed past the fender. Many states allow tires to come a certain distance past the fender (2" in CT) but I'm pretty sure there's a federal thing about having to have full coverage from the factory.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To whoever asked about the Rubi flares:

They don't add any clearance. What the wider flares do is make it possible for Jeep to put the wider tires on without them being exposed past the fender.
If I'm not mistaken... fender flare width is the same on all JK's.

SUPERD

Reaction score
TJ rubi flares are 1.75" wider than any other stock jeep TJ flare.
all JK flares are the same, only option is painted or black textured
for what it's worth, I run 38's on 15x8 rims with 4" backspace with 4" lift, no flare trimming, & 1.25" body lift.
stock 4:10 gears too, with 4 to 1 I'm still usually in 3rd or 4th gear in low range, hit 90 mph coming back from superlift last week too!
yes it rubs when I stuff a tire, I don't mind, I wheel my jeep hard. I have my up travel limited to 4" with extended bump stops but have over 10" of droop.:jawdrop:

Last edited:

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know you can put 33" Duratracs on an unlifted 07 JK Sahara with only very minor rubbing at full lock.

SebastianandAlexander039.jpg

I thought I had a better pic but that's all I can find at the moment.

Dave

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you can put 33" Duratracs on an unlifted 07 JK Sahara with only very minor rubbing at full lock.

SebastianandAlexander039.jpg

I thought I had a better pic but that's all I can find at the moment.

Dave
The Sahara has longer shocks than a X/Sport too....

daspes

Reaction score
The Sahara has longer shocks than a X/Sport too....

Actually no, kinda. There are 14 different shocks used in 07 alone... They are listed as Premium, normal duty and heavy duty... depending on options outfitted on the JK determined which shocks you received... Rubi's got the 'premium', sports and limiteds all got the others. Unlimiteds, Hardtop and/or towing packages you got the heavy duty, others normal duty. The heavy duty's were longer. IIRC about .25" more droop... So some Limiteds will ahve longer shocks than some sports, and vice a versa

That said, shocks don't have much to do with how large a tire you fit. A shock will not provide more or less lift (unless it is way to short). Besides the valving of the shock affecting dampening and ride quality, it will only limit up travel (until it hits the bump stop or worse fully compresses), or down travel when it fully extends.

Last edited:

SUPERD

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with everything above, spring rate & coil length dictate lift, shocks just dampen harmonics, no bearing on lift height.
Too short or long they will limit travel & make for a poor limiting device, I pulled a new RE 12" monotube apart by overextending it on the rear of my heep, now running 14" RE monotubes with no issues, put those slip on foam overtravel bump stops to soften the bottoming in the front, also bad for shocks.
I don't know jack about JK's but know a lot about suspension, built many link suspensions for on & off road. As AZ outlaw stated earlier, research is your friend, will save you lots of money in the long run & keep the extra parts from piling up!
My suspension is a mix of many different manufacturers parts to get what I was after, no one offered exactly what I wanted so did it myself, took lots of phone & Internet conversations but couldn't be happier with the end result.

CJ65_JK10

Contest Moderator
Reaction score
so let me ask this. and i want a yes or no..... if i put a 2 inch rubicon express lift and flat fender flares on my jk rubicon, and 35 inch tires. nothing else. will it still run and do trails the same or better as it does now. and still reach highway speeds.

daspes

Reaction score
so let me ask this. and i want a yes or no..... if i put a 2 inch rubicon express lift and flat fender flares on my jk rubicon, and 35 inch tires. nothing else. will it still run and do trails the same or better as it does now. and still reach highway speeds.

Yes.

JKMudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To run any 35, a 1250 or 1450 just requires the correct backspaced wheel or spacers. Doesn't affect the suspension question at all.

Yeah, but he didnt mention what wheels he was running. If he is running stock wheels w/ no spacers even 12.5s might have issues.

JKMudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats pretty much a given. Its difficult to give straight forward answers since everything is so interconnected.

Side note: Thatll look killer!

Most all the lifts seem to push towards a 4.5" bs, but quite a few popular wheels (AEV Pintlers etc.) are 4.75" bs. I figure if you stay this side of 5" youd be good to go.

Members online

No members online now.