Tire size.

Sahara08

Reaction score
I am in need of new tires soon and was wondering if any of you knew the biggest, beefest tire I can fit under my 08?

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in need of new tires soon and was wondering if any of you knew the biggest, beefest tire I can fit under my 08?
It depends on how high of a lift you have. Refer to the link in my other post to your lift question.

Sahara08

Reaction score
It hasn't been lifted at all. Still at stock hieght. Do you have a wrangler and if so, do you have beefy tires or street tires?

CJ65_JK10

Contest Moderator
Reaction score
To save reading. According To everything I have read you can run a beefy 33. But I wouldn't get giant fat ones. Prolly nothing fatter than 12.50. Or My rubicon came stock with the 32" and I love em. They ride decent. Not that loud. You can hear em tho. But I have heard lots of good things on the bfg a/tr's.

Any biggerthan 33 and they will rub more than likely.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To save reading. According To everything I have read you can run a beefy 33. But I wouldn't get giant fat ones. Prolly nothing fatter than 12.50. Or My rubicon came stock with the 32" and I love em. They ride decent. Not that loud. You can hear em tho. But I have heard lots of good things on the bfg a/tr's.

Double post... see my reply below.

Last edited:

CJ65_JK10

Contest Moderator
Reaction score
That's weird. I've actually heard of people running 35 with a 2" spacer and backspacing.

Maybe that's with Rubi flairs

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not trying to be a smart ass, but your not giving specifics. Reading is good, you get all the facts and different opinions... not probables. What do you consider beefy or giant fat ones? Specify sizes if you know.

That's weird. I've actually heard of people running 35 with a 2" spacer and backspacing.

Maybe that's with Rubi flairs
Without a lift, or trimming the fender flares, 35" tires will not fit on a JK without rubbing. Where have you heard or seen people running 35's with just a spacer and back spacing?? Spacers push the tire out more causing them to rub on the fender flares and not on the suspension components. Also... a 2" spacer AND back spacing is really pushing the tire out. Max recommended back space on a JK is 4.50".

What are Rubi flares??

I have BFG M/T KM2 tires... 285/75-16 on Eagle Alloy 16" rims with 4.25" of back space. Prior to my lift, once in awhile the rear tires would rub on the fender flares if I hit a bump or a pot hole on the street. On the trail they rubbed on anything but a flat surface. The front tires rubbed on the front plastic air dam on the street when fully locked in either direction. I had to trim it back even before the lift.

Note: the BFG M/T KM2 285/75-16 tires are not true 33" tires. They're close... 32.82"x11.22"

As posted elsewhere on this forum... here are some before and after lift pics.

Before 2.0" lift.... they rub

jk077.jpg

With a 2.0" lift... they don't rub

jk078.jpg

Try stuffing these 285/75-16 tires without rubbing... you need a lift

inbox004.jpg

jk085.jpg

Last edited:

CJ65_JK10

Contest Moderator
Reaction score
ive read it on other forums. i know the rubicon flares are wider but do they offer more clearance? because my 32" arent anywhere close to my fenders
1273379342.jpg

are we talking 2 in suspension spacer?

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a stock Rubicon with wider fender flares than the Sahara or X. A stock height Rubi will sit a little higher because it has longer shocks. A JK X with the the Rubi 32" tire and 17" wheel combo comes no where close to needing a lift even tho it sits a little lower than the Rubi.

Yes, I have a RE 2.0" coil spacer lift with the RE monotube shocks.

My stock height X with the same tire and wheel combo as the Rubicon... no lift required....

jk004.jpg

Last edited:

Sahara08

Reaction score
I am sorry if I am missing it AZ, but what kind of lift did you put on for that 2" lift? I like the after pic as thats where I would like to be. Smilar to yours.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if I am missing it AZ, but what kind of lift did you put on for that 2" lift? I like the after pic as thats where I would like to be. Smilar to yours.
It's a Rubicon Express 2.0" coil spacer lift with the Rubicon Express monotube shocks and JKS quick disconnects. With my lift, tire and wheel combo, I'm set up for medium to slightly difficult rated trails.

IMHO... it all about what you were going to use the Jeep for and how high you need to go to clear your tires. If I was not going to use it off road, I would of left it stock as it is in the picture above. LOL... if your not going off road,why even buy a Jeep and go through all the expense to make it bigger??

77687lg.jpg

inbox098.jpg

inbox100.jpg

Last edited:

CJ65_JK10

Contest Moderator
Reaction score
how much did that lift run you? im looking for closer to a 3.5" to run 35s eventually nothing until my 32s wear out. but might as well lift it before i go civilian and broke. and do you know if i would need the quick discos if i have electric discos. hows that work

JKMudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, here we go...

You can run a 33" tall tire on a stock height JK, the problem is more the width than the height, as you will have rubbing issues on anything much bigger than a 285 (on stock wheels). If you get some wheels with more offset, youll be able to clear wider, but not alot.

You need at least 2.5" to run 35s w/o having quite a bit of rubbing. Even with 2.5, youll probly get some rubbing on the trail. Most suggest 3+" for 35s. For 37s, you need at least 3.5, but over 4" is best. The problem with 3"+ is once you hit that area, you really have to have new front/rear trackbars and new driveshafts front and rear. Most coil lifts tend to give more lift than advertised, so just keep that in mind when ordering.

I personally have done a ton of reading and have decided on a 2.5" Teraflex coil lift. Most seem to be getting over 3" out of this lift. Im going to run that with some 315s.

Last edited:

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, here we go...

You can run a 33" tall tire on a stock height JK, the problem is more the width than the height, as you will have rubbing issues on anything much bigger than a 285 (on stock wheels). If you get some wheels with more offset, youll be able to clear wider, but not alot.

I don't want to argue with you... just relating my experience with BFG M/T KM2 285/75-16 (32.83" x 11.22") tires. The following is taken from my post above:

"I have BFG M/T KM2 tires... 285/75-16 on Eagle Alloy 16" rims with 4.25" of back space. Prior to my lift, once in awhile the rear tires would rub on the fender flares if I hit a bump or a pot hole on the street. On the trail they rubbed on anything but a flat surface. The front tires rubbed on the front plastic air dam on the street when fully locked in either direction. I had to trim it back even before the lift."

If you add backspacing, the tires stick out past the fender flares about 1 inch which caused rubbing on my JK. Will 285/75-16 tires fit on a JK?? Yes, but not without minor rubbing on the air dam and a little more on the rear fenders.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.... :hidesbehindsofa:

======================

Edited:

It just dawned on me this morning!! It seems that JKMudder and I are BOTH correct. He said that a JK will fit 33" tires without rubbing, I said it won't.

I think the reason behind our difference of opinions is something we both overlooked. Jeep in all it's wisdom decided to play games with us. What neither Mud or myself took into consideration (at least I didn't) is... there are three different size shocks that come standard on a JK!! The X like mine which is now called a Sport, comes with the shorter (black) shocks than the longer (red) shocks that come on the Rubicon models like Mud's. Jeep took it one step further and made another size shock for Jeeps equipped with the towing package. I don't know if they rub or not.

So boys and girls, unless someone else can come up with something different, the myth has been busted.... it depends what model of JK you have on whether or not 33" tires will fit without rubbing.

Mud... would you agree with my latest observation?? :patriot:

Last edited:

JKMudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. It seems to be a lot based on whatever setup/option package you have. There are a lot of different coils on JKs also, depending on x, sahara or rubi and also on 2 door vs. Unlimited. I think those things explain a lot of the inconsistency when talkin about what hits and how much.

And, fyi, I just saw yesterday that teraflex has come out w/ a 2 door version of their coil lift which will net 2 door users the advertised 2.5"s of lift. If you have a 2 door and still want the 3" of lift, just order the 2.5" coil kit for the unlimiteds.

Its not confusing at all...:crazy:

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CJ'S are much easier!!!
LOL... yeah, but JK'a are more comfortable with a better ride, more cargo room, have A/C and more ground clearance. The X/Sport models are more capable in stock form right out of the box when compared to the TJ, Yj and CJ. A Rubicon makes it even better. CJ's are fun, but my vote goes to the JK.

Before you start a build on a JK, you need to really do your homework as to what you want so as to do it right the first time. The best way to do that is to go to a large JK specific forum with their large tech sections etc. Not trying to take away from this forum, but it's too new and does have much model specific info....

Members online

No members online now.