El Camino del Diablo... Oct 3~4 2009

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some pictures of a run I did along the Mexican Border this past October....

We're back from chasing down the Devil on his own highway!! It was a fun trip. Other than the Border Patrol and a few wild critters, we saw no one else the entire weekend.

Mike... thanks for a great weekend, just wish +1 could of made it!!

A few pictures from our 137 mile trip across El Camino del Diablo (the Devil's Highway):

Airing down....

inbox003.jpg

A very long stretch of desert sand....

InBox023-2.jpg

After crossing the sandy stretch....

InBox045.jpg

Parked next to an extinct valcano....

InBox029-3.jpg

A contrast, dusty Jeep sitting on black lava rock....

InBox038-1.jpg

Our camp at Tule Well....

InBox069.jpg

Beth and Mike kicked back after a long, dusty day on the Devil's Highway....

InBox078-1.jpg

See Beth jump!!! After she saw this critter walking towards her in camp just after it got dark....

inbox093.jpg

Another sandy stretch....

InBox125-1.jpg

A Marine that didn't make it....

InBox130.jpg

Tinajas Altus, Mike climbed almost to the top of the section above the bush in the middle of the picture....

InBox131-2.jpg

More sand....

InBox142-1.jpg

The end of the trail....

inbox147.jpg

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wicked i want to go
Where are you located??

If you're in the Phoenix area, the trip can be done in two days. We'll leave Phoenix about 0500 on Sat, have breakfast in Ajo and be on the trail by 0900. We'll get back to Phoenix about 1800 on Sunday.

You'll need a free permit and be 100% self sufficient with enough food, water, gas and camping gear to make the trip. There are no services anywhere between Ajo and Yuma. I had enough food for 3 days plus snacks and emergency rations, 13 gal of water for two people, 7 gal of gas, cooking and camping equipment.

If you're really interested, consider doing it in May or early Oct. The summer months are too hot to spend a night in the desert, and it's too cold at night the rest of the year.

Anybody that wants to do this trail, let me know and I'll post up more info and how to get the free permit that is required and set up the trip....

Note: There is a large warning sign at the beginning of the trail warning of illegal activity that may be encountered.

The warning sign....

inbox002.jpg

O'Neil's grave, the Sonoran Desert is a harsh environment....

inbox016.jpg

Taking a break on the trail....

inbox132.jpg

Trail snacks and a GPS....

inbox140.jpg

Last edited:

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in But can my truck go?
As long as it's a 4x4 and you're comfortable driving in soft sand and close to the border. Let me check in with a buddy of mine and see when we can put this together.

I'll get back to this thread in a day or two.....

Members online

No members online now.