Staff member
Reaction score
I really like the look of them. Especially this one :

startech-jeep-commander.jpg

:patriot:

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that is good about them is the HEMI option. Have you ever put the third row seat up. Unless you have cameras outside the rear good luck seeing out the back.

I think they as well were a failed attempt to compet with the Hummer. I mean my wifes TrailBlazer sits higher.

Maybe I just like the older stuff.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it may look good, but Jeep is supposed to be all about off road capabilities, not looks. For starters, those tires won't last too long on a dirt road much less a trail... and not enough ground clearance. The pic above is from a German tuning company called StarTech....

http://www.startech.de/CJD/html/jeep1.html

And just what i always wanted, a Wrangler with low profile street tires....

http://www.startech.de/CJD/Flyer_JEEP_Wrangler_Lo_2008-08.pdf

For what it's worth... since the bean counters first took over while under control of Daimler, I feel Jeep is slowly ruining the brand with a lot of it's latest offerings... their crossovers in particular.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So not everyone is a fan of the commanders I take it?

daspes

Reaction score
I'm a fan, but you just don't see too many done well. They are a bit to big for my wheeling style also.

131_0711_01_z+2007_ultimate_adventure_sponsors+jeep.jpg

AEV_Trucks.JPG

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I could go with one of those if I had the $$$ to build one. It would be perfect for some of the Expeditions I've done and like to do in the future!!

JerseyWJ

Reaction score
Jeep should bring back the original cherokee XJ and scrap the Commander, patriot and compass and any other future ideas

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeep should bring back the original cherokee XJ and scrap the Commander, patriot and compass and any other future ideas

:lol: So I take it you don't like the smaller street only jeeps :D

Pasaway

Reaction score
in my mind I think it's obvious that the Compass, the Patriot, and Commander were attempts to pull non-offroad people to the brand, and expand the Jeep brand further than it should.

I'm not a fan of the Compass or the Patriot, an Anemic little car with a Jeep badge that wouldn't make it up some of my friends driveways. But I really don't understand why Jeep made two of them. basically the same vehicle with a few different angles on the body.

The Commander, I have seen on the trail. And with some moderate upgrades lift, tires, and gears, it can be a pretty cushy trail rig.

I don't think it was meant to compete with the Hummer. The H1 was already dead, the H2 sucks off-road without $40,000 in upgrades, The H3 is more for competing with the lower end SUVs. The Commander in my opinion was built to compete with land rover/range rover, and the more High end Luxury SUVs. The vehicle that the Grand has tried to Compete with, but has never been completely successful. But the flaw here is that the Commander now competes against the Grand.

As far as bringing the XJ back. That will never happen, no matter how many people(myself included) scream for it. Course you could go buy the new chinese version.
bj2003_001.jpg

Last edited:

Walsh

Reaction score
I agree that those smaller verison jeeps don't look like they will be going off road anytime soon. Thats why I like the liberty. Its just perfect for going off road and being an on road ride too.

RumorsOFsurF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always liked them. I looked in to them before I bought my Yukon. I think they're really cool looking.

Unfortunately, they're just not in the same league as a Yukon or Tahoe. The GM rigs have a lot nicer amenities, and a real frame. Sorry, Jeep, but I'm not going to buy a unibody rig to tow with. Also, I prefer the GM engines to anything Chrysler designed.

Never thought I'd get to use this one:

:gm:

Last edited:

REOSpeedWagoneer

Reaction score
A collleague from San Diego CA owns a Commander. He had it re-painted in camouflage color. Which I found cool.

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the Commander styling actually. They kinda remind me of a modernized Wagoneer. There are not that many around here though. Jeep sold (is selling) a lot of Grand Cherokees here and I think the Commander was really competing with that at least around here if not everywhere.

Dave

JKMudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a Commander fan. I saw one today leaving work. Silver, looked to be lifted a tad on some nobbier tires. Had an exhaust that sounded really nice. I would rock one in addition to the Rubicon if I ever won the lotto.

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am a Commander fan. I saw one today leaving work. Silver, looked to be lifted a tad on some nobbier tires. Had an exhaust that sounded really nice. I would rock one in addition to the Rubicon if I ever won the lotto.

Yeah, when I win the lotto I'll have a couple more jeeps too....haha

Lets see.....a Black Commander, Red Rubi, and a Gladiator in any color if they ever make them.

Dave

CommanderDuner1

Reaction score
I have owned a Commander for three years and love it. Beautiful leather, very trail capable, better than average ride for a jeep and the best bluetooth I've used in any car. WOuld highly recommend, but I'm not a hardcore off-roader and I imagine its no Wrangler in the dirt.

Members online

No members online now.