More HP

narleycarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have ya'll done for performance on these 200HP monsters?

I've put a K&N on mine, I maybe noticed a small gain in the "seat of my pants Dyno"

daspes

Reaction score
I'm running an Amsoil EA drop in filter and modified exhaust. Exhaust was the biggest performance booster.

narleycarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running an Amsoil EA drop in filter and modified exhaust. Exhaust was the biggest performance booster.

is it loud? Don't like a loud exhaust unless it has power to back it up, reminds me of those Honda Civics with "coffee can" size exhaust tips

daspes

Reaction score
My "system" is just an 18" glasspack ($18) welded online the stock pipie under the driverside floorboards just forward of the evap canister and I yanked off the big ass boat anchor of a muffler from the crappy factory location.

It's loader than stock but not obnoctious. Has a nice grumble and not rivet at all. If you want something a little quiter pick up a24" one instead.

Hornsby

Reaction score
The Superchips programmer does pretty well on the JK. Elimates the slow response time of the gas pedal.

Intakes and exhausts aren't going to do anything. The only real way to get performance is to drop a Hemi in it :)

SpencersHIDs.com

Reaction score
The Superchips programmer does pretty well on the JK. Elimates the slow response time of the gas pedal.

Intakes and exhausts aren't going to do anything. The only real way to get performance is to drop a Hemi in it :)

we have a guy at work right now putting a sbc 5.3 in his. should be an interesting build.

narleycarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone used that new programmer yet for the 2010s? Like? dislike? worth the $300?

The more I drive the wifeys jeep, the more I say it needs some more stuff. Exhaust and programmer is next on list. Just waiting on some opinions. This jeep in a headwind at highway is horrible.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone used that new programmer yet for the 2010s? Like? dislike? worth the $300?

The more I drive the wifeys jeep, the more I say it needs some more stuff. Exhaust and programmer is next on list. Just waiting on some opinions. This jeep in a headwind at highway is horrible.
An exhaust is not going to solve your issue of the need for power... a couple of horsepower at best, even with a cold air intake. Unless the programmer and chip manufactures have "certified dyno results" my experience is it's mostly snake oil. I chipped my Crossfire, it's a psychological seat of the pants gain at best. The chip maker promised 15~25 HP gain... no way. Re gearing is the best way to go, I noticed a real difference going from the 3.21 gears to 4.56 gears. LOL... I can now drive over a highway overpass with out loosing it. But, if it's true power you want, a supercharger or a hemi is the only real way to go. Air intakes, exhausts and chips are a cheap ricer boy way to try to get power. You can add the ricer's favorite... nitro for short bursts of speed. Remember. power costs... lots of $$$ = real power.

Last edited:

CT99XJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, TB spacers are a pile of snake oil as well. They work with some older model throttle body fuel injection systems, but past the Renix era they do just about as much as trying to push the Jeep. Think about it this way: the idea of the spacer is to increase the internal volume of the manifold. Using an XJ as a reference with a 99+ intake, the manifold holds a little over 4 liters of water. A throttle body spacer adds less than a tenth of a liter.

What I've found actually works to improve mid-throttle response but not horsepower or torque is a bored out throttle body.

narleycarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An exhaust is not going to solve your issue of the need for power... a couple of horsepower at best, even with a cold air intake. Unless the programmer and chip manufactures have "certified dyno results" my experience is it's mostly snake oil. I chipped my Crossfire, it's a psychological seat of the pants gain at best. The chip maker promised 15~25 HP gain... no way. Re gearing is the best way to go, I noticed a real difference going from the 3.21 gears to 4.56 gears. LOL... I can now drive over a highway overpass with out loosing it. But, if it's true power you want, a supercharger or a hemi is the only real way to go. Air intakes, exhausts and chips are a cheap ricer boy way to try to get power. You can add the ricer's favorite... nitro for short bursts of speed. Remember. power costs... lots of $$$ = real power.

Actually... an exhaust can help, with the right choice. I took my 07 Chevy to the track on factory exhaust, open exhaust, and 3 different muffler choices and drove it for about a week to get gas MPG comparisons, they all had different results (yes, not drastic, but still noticeable) so... an exhaust can help. And... I did the same thing with my hypertech programmer on truck. Same thing, was it what they advertised? no, I didn't get a 25HP gain, but I did get some.

A re-gear does not get you extra HP, can get you more torque since it moves the curve. But, it's another comprimise. You gear it lower and can lose high speed. I don't think I need to get away from my 373s until I get taller tires.

I don't want to go to Supercharger or anything like that drastic just yet since it's still under warranty and still wifey's DD.

But later on it would be nice to be able to get a cam change and/or work the heads. Just not that kinda stuff is out there for jeep motors, I think

Tinker2022

Reaction score
I got the HikeIt module from Australia for our 07 JK 4 door. First up the unit has various modes of operation selectable from the dash. There is the stock mode, no effect; the power mode with 11 levels of nastiness; the economy mode also with 11 levels and finally the Valay mode which limits the parking dude to like 5mph!
First up it eliminated the awful delay of the gas pedal. When in the power mode at level 4 you barely touch the pedal and off you go. Takes a bit of learning. The gas mileage went up to a consistent 18 to 21 mpg in the economy mode. With todays high gas prices it's a welcome relief. In the highest power mode it will drive off on its own ( ours is an automatic). You definately get a kick in the seat but of course the mpg drops off! For about $125 US it gives you a lot to play with. For my daily commute I run in economy mode 3. It takes about 15 minutes to install as you stand on your head to disconnect the gas pedal wiring plug, plug in the HikeIt T plug and then plug the original harness into the HiekIt plug. Run the control box wire up to a handy spot on the dash and your done. If your ri9g goes into the shop, simply select the Original Factory mode. It doesn't effect the troubleshooting codes.
According to the literature it plays with the transmission shift points (for automatics) and the engine tune.
It works forus especially while out on the trail in Western Colorado!

Members online

No members online now.