LTT True Cold Air Intake for KJ's

long_tall_texan

Reaction score
I know many of you have already seen this on LOST, or JKJ, but someone from here accidentally found me over there and suggested I post it over here to spread the word.
------------------------------
I have the first couple of the intake scoops and airbox adapters ready to ship out. These currently work on the 05-07 KJ models. I am working on a version for the 02-04 models too. I will posts updates here as they come. I do not know if these will fit the KK, but if someone wants to try, or give me the info needed to make a KK version, I will be happy to make one for them too. The cost is a tad higher than I initially had quoted. The reason being, I forgot to include the cost of the support material for the 3D printer that I had to buy too. Remember, I am not making money on these. I am just sharing my design with all of you that had an interest. These are built on a 3D printer (rapid prototyping machine). The material is ABS plastic.

Grill intake scoop: $45
Airbox adapter for 3" hose/tubing: $50
Shipping one or both of the pieces listed above to anywhere in the continental US via USPS 3 Day Priority Mail: $13
. I checked shipping prices other than that,
. and shipping parcel post post required me
. to buy my own boxes. Added all up, it was
. only a couple dollars less, and I figure
. most would rather have the faster shipping.
If you want me to ship outside of US, I can quote that to you individually.

If you want one of these, just PM me. I will take payments via Paypal. I have 2 of the scoops and 2 of the airbox adapters ready now. I can only use the machine after hours and on weekends, so I will be taking orders on a first come, first serve basis. Please be patient on these initial orders, since it seems that a lot of you are interested. I'll create a running/waiting list for the initial orders and fill them ASAP. You won't need to pay until I have yours built and ready to ship. Then once I have yours built, you pay, and then I'll ship to you.

The hose to run between the scoop and the airbox is just 3" aluminum dryer vent hose that you can pick up at any Lowe's or Home Depot. You can use hose clamps if you want, but they really aren't needed. It fits pretty snug without them. You can also pick up a couple of plastic push-in rivets at the hardware store too for mounting.

I used both pieces on mine. However, dieselenthusiast is going to just use the intake scoop and then cut a 3" hole in the bottom/side of the airbox with a hole saw to feed his airbox. He has promised pics of that setup once he has it done.

If you have any questions about these, feel free to ask.

Here are some pictures

Grill Intake Scoop
Photo_012409_001.jpg

Airbox adapter for 3" hose/tubing
Photo_012409_002.jpg

Airbox Adapter installed
Photo_112308_006.jpg

Photo_112308_007.jpg

Scoop Installed
Photo_112308_009.jpg

Photo_112308_008.jpg

Photo_011009_003.jpg

Scoop Installed behind grill
Photo_112308_010.jpg

05-07 Grill without scoop
Photo_011009_001.jpg

Photo_011009_002.jpg

I just cut the rubber barrier piece horizontally just above the second hole. Then I folded it back behind in case I ever need to go back stock.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good!! I like the workmanship you've put into the system.

A suggestion if you don't mind... raise the inlet a lot higher off the bumper. As you have it nowit's worthless for those running trails in their KJ. It's too low to the ground, you'll suck in all kind of dust, and forget about water crossings.

If you're marketing the setup for highway use, then disregard....

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Reaction score
Looking good!! I like the workmanship you've put into the system.

A suggestion if you don't mind... raise the inlet a lot higher off the bumper. As you have it now it's worthless for those running trails in their KJ. It's too low to the ground, you'll suck in all kind of dust, and forget about water crossings.

If you're marketing the setup for highway use, then disregard....

Yes, the water crossing has been mentioned and addressed several times on other forums. By all means, if you go through deep water regularly, this is not for you. But heavy rain is not a problem at all. I drove for about an hour in a flooding Texas downpour at highway speed (or as close to that as I could because it was raining so hard). When i got home, I popped the hood and checked my filter just to check. It was dry as a bone. And dust... ??? If it is dusty at 3 feet off the ground, it will be at 4 feet too. Very negligible difference anyway. But I would make it higher, but... There is not any place to route a line through any higher than where it is. I have run it for 2 years and do not have any excess dirt in my airbox....

Lil Black Liberty

Reaction score
I will verify anything that LTT says because I have one of these CAI's and I will say this is by far the best set up yet!

Also LTT, not to change subject man but there is a M&G in OKC at the end of July.. let me know if you would be interested in coming!

Members online

No members online now.