KJ Skid plates optional

redram2500

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked a million times already.

I can't find a definitive answer any where.

Are the skid plates on the KJ structural in any way? That is, if I remove all the skid plates from the engine back to the t-case, will that affect the structure of the vehicle in any way?

Personally, I can see only the engine skid plate having any structural purpose at all but that doesn't mean it does or doesn't or the other do or don't.

The KJ in question is an 05 Rene and 7 years of salt in the winter has eaten the snot out of it underneath. I want to take the skid plates off and leave them off for a while. It's my wife's vehicle and never goes off road, at least according to her ;).

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dought they are actually structural. They were an option anyway so I would guess if they were actually for structural purposes they would have been on all KJs as standard equipment. Besides, the uniframe is pretty stout actually. (even stiffer than an XJ)

Mine came from the factory with only an engine skid and I installed the rest myself.

I suppose you could take them all off and rustoleum the engine skid and put just that one back on if you felt better about it.

Welcome to the forum.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.