Moab... Oct 7~10, 2009

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silverdiesel and I made a quick trip up to Moab Oct 7~10. It was Roland's first trip up there. The first day we did the Shafer Switchbacks, Lathrop Canyon and Long's Canyon. Day two we played tourist for most of the day going through Arches NP and doing the Tower Arch trail on the way out. We were running out of day light but managed to do Baby Lion's Back and the southern half of Fins and Things before it got dark. On the way out, Roland wanted to do Baby Lion's Back again... he has turned into a real 4x4 addict and can't wait to get back to Moab!!

Here are some pictures from the trip, and as usual... it's hard to capture the steepness and ruggedness of the trails. Let's just say, that with his short 1" lift, Roland showed what a nearly stock KJ is capable of. Some hikers at the top of Baby Lion's Back were amazed when he crested the top and they saw he was driving a Liberty.

On the way north, we stopped at the Elephant's feet, near Tuba City...

InBox008-2.jpg

Above the Colorado River at "Thelma and Louise" Point...

InBox095-2.jpg

Going into Lathrop Canyon...

InBox168.jpg

On the way to Long's Canyon...

InBox206-1.jpg

Pucker Pass in Long's Canyon...

InBox232.jpg

The fallen rock in Long's Canyon...

InBox244.jpg

On the Tower Arch trail...

InBox338.jpg

InBox364.jpg

I'm looking down from the top of Baby Lion's Back...

InBox376.jpg

Roland getting ready to make his ascent up Baby Lion's Back...

InBox377.jpg

On his way up...

InBox378-1.jpg

InBox379.jpg

Descending Baby Lion's Back...

InBox388.jpg

On Fins and Things...

InBox434.jpg

InBox412.jpg

InBox439.jpg

The last challenge on the southern half of Fins and Things, an eight foot steep ledge, and he's going for it...

InBox456a.jpg

On the way down...

InBox458.jpg

Nose first into the soft sand with no damage to his bumper...

InBox460.jpg

Going up Baby Lion's Back the second time on the way back to town...

InBox466.jpg

InBox469.jpg

Going down the back side of Baby Lion's Back...

InBox474_filtered.jpg

Looking south towards Monument Valley on the way home...

InBox484-1.jpg

Here are a few pics taken by Silverdiesel:

Silverdiesel said:
Pics present:

All of our scenic trails still had up to medium challenges like Lathrop Canyon and Pucker Pass just to get to those awesome views - but here are some pics on more known areas.

Lots of arches- here is Delicate Arch- (the Utah license plate) and one of a dozen arches we saw...
IMG_1508.jpg

Typical conditions to get to arches and scenic views...
AJ and then me...

IMG_1545.jpg

We all know Lion's Back is closed as it is on private property but there is a baby version right down the road...

AJ on Babyback and us on the way down ...
IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

Fun on Fins and of course pics do injustice but thats why you gotta visit this area to see for yourself and revisit cause it is worth it, I know I and my family will!...Again awesome thanks AJ for guiding and showing the way!...
IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

4xFun

Reaction score
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a fun time. Glad the weather held up. I hope to get to Moab someday soon.

Members online

No members online now.