Manual Hubs?

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im wanting to lock the front diff and put hubs on it, does anyone know who makes the kit? Been searching and cant seem to find it.

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i was looking for thanks. prob. gonna put a full spool or possible just weld it. but for the price of the conversion kit i could do an axle swap.

CH3NO2

Reaction score
What did you have in mind for the front locker?

Hubs... Here's one...
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3800X&Category_Code=AXL

Keep in mind that YJ, TJ, XJ, and ZJ dana 30's are all identical (with the exceptions of mounts, LP, HP, etc.) But nearly any hardpart for a D30 will work on your ZJ, hubs, lockers, shafts, R&P's, tubes, carriers, so one..

From all that I can find daspes is correct that you have a D30 axle and most everything will fit

daspes

Reaction score
thats what i was looking for thanks. prob. gonna put a full spool or possible just weld it. but for the price of the conversion kit i could do an axle swap.

A 44 swap may be a good idea depending on what size tire you are going to run (or truss and sleeve the 30). You'll still have auto hubs on the 44 too. As for the spool or lincoln locker idea. I really don't recommend it. your
fine on the street if you have unlocked hubs. But on the trail, it really is to much of a pain in the ass IMO. You can lock just one hub, but if you lock both, you can't turn without breaking something. Which means any time you come to an obstacle you are essentially still powering just one wheel just like if you were open. Of course you could always stop, unlock one and lock the other then get back in and conquer the hill, but really, it's just easier and better to add a True-trac, lunchbox, or selectable.

Last edited:

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very true ill take it into consideration. I can get a d44 from a grand wagoneer for $700 w/ warranty. im just gonna do some more researching.

daspes

Reaction score
very true ill take it into consideration. I can get a d44 from a grand wagoneer for $700 w/ warranty. im just gonna do some more researching.

Also for consideration SJ (Grand Wagoneer, Wagoneer, Cherokees (original not XJ), and J trucks) axles were 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, so you would also have to have the hubs redrilled (if possible). SJ axles were either Narrow Track (NT) or (WT) Wide Track. NT's are either (+73) 57.5" (2.5" narrower) or (74+) 59" WMS to WMS (1" narrower, so you will need different backspacing on your front wheels in addition to different bolt patter). WT's were 65" (About 5" too wide for your ZJ). Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to tell if you have a NT or WT without measuring. Usually all Wagoneers and Grand's were Narrow, unless they were a Chief or Laredo edition.

I'm assuming you have access to a welder, grinder, and angle finder, plus all the mounts you'll need too?

Last edited:

CH3NO2

Reaction score
Years ago I put a spool in the front of a CJ5 that I raced in the sand. It needed about 40 acres to turn around. Hubs helped but was a PITA to get out and turn them out and in all the time. Now use selectable just flip a switch on the dash.

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do have access to everything. I might end up geting a d44 out of rubicon, should bolt with no modes, plus get the factory e lock. i found one pretty cheap.

daspes

Reaction score

daspes

Reaction score
i do have access to everything. I might end up geting a d44 out of rubicon, should bolt with no modes, plus get the factory e lock. i found one pretty cheap.

I don't think a Rubi 44 will mount "right up". IIRC they have different control arm mount positions, different sized spring buckets, and the steering mounts are different on the knuckles too I think.

Pretty sure you'll have to completely strip it, and then reweld the the ZJ Brackets on.

Edit...
You said E-Locker, do you mean a 44 from a JK not a TJ? TJ's had airlockers. A JK axle won't fit. It's 65" WMS to WMS, and would require a completely custom steering set up. Plus JK 44's use d30 axle tubes... so the only thing that is stronger is the R&P gears.

Last edited:

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a Rubi 44 will mount "right up". IIRC they have different control arm mount positions, different sized spring buckets, and the steering mounts are different on the knuckles too I think.

Pretty sure you'll have to completely strip it, and then reweld the the ZJ Brackets on.

Edit...
You said E-Locker, do you mean a 44 from a JK not a TJ? TJ's had airlockers. A JK axle won't fit. It's 65" WMS to WMS, and would require a completely custom steering set up. Plus JK 44's use d30 axle tubes... so the only thing that is stronger is the R&P gears.

wow i didnt know that. i guess im just gonna get ready to spend some money and lots of fab work. thanks for your input. really helped.

daspes

Reaction score
wow i didnt know that. i guess im just gonna get ready to spend some money and lots of fab work. thanks for your input. really helped.

No problem, that's what the board is for. Like I posted above, I think the best bet is to build up the 30. Less than 2g's it can be pretty much indestructible.

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id weld the front. no $ spent and you can choose which side has power or have a solid front (with hubs of course)

Underpowered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why go through the trouble of adding hubs to a D30 and welding it.

why not put in a selectable locker? locked when you want, not when you don't.

and if you picked up a ford 44 out of an older ford for cheap, with manual hubs already. sure the bolt pattern would be differnt, but through the 9" rear in there while you are at ti and a call it a day.

BigWill3855

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to put an auburn e locker in the front and wait till it brakes then do some upgrading.

Members online

No members online now.