Lift Question

yellocoyote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've managed 4.5" of lift, but I think I'm at the limit before I start cutting down the CV shafts.

That's cool that you've got that much going... I think mine is sitting right at 4" right now. I've had to replace a set of CV's since lifting.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
daspes... you should recognize this one. Neatus' Liberty with a SFA conversion. If I'm not mistaken, he's riding on 33's....

43132506907060aa9473b.jpg

43125161793b58ee8044b.jpg

35270989.jpg

4277750603b39f1c935cb.jpg

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Reaction score
Not really, if you add up everything that is the $1042 Frankenlift, it comes up to be $980. Sure you can find some parts on sale or used. Saving 60 bucks or having it come preassembled... Anyway not such a the huge discount piecing it together.

Yes, Really... See mine...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50921

Then add:
Rear OME springs - $160
Rear Shocks - $120
Extra Rear Isolators - $60

Front = $470
Rear = $340
Total = $810

daspes

Reaction score
Yes, Really... See mine...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50921

Then add:
Rear OME springs - $160
Rear Shocks - $120
Extra Rear Isolators - $60

Front = $470
Rear = $340
Total = $810

Couple problems with this. The franky uses an 1.5" spacer not 2 seperate 1/4 and 1/2 spacers. Not everyone has access to a machine were they can hand make their own spacers. It's great that you did, but realisticaly nearly anyone else will have to spend 125 for the daystar 1.5" spacer. You saved 100 bucks on keeping with the Bilsteins shocks over OME, I was comparing apples to apples. IMHO having run both Bistien and OME, the OME was worht the extra cash. you don't say what rear shocks you chose either, at the price it looks like the rancho's which once again doesn't compare to the quality of the OME's nor apples to apples.

I understand that yes you can piece together a similar kit to a Franky for less. But the ride won't be as good either. For my comparo I used same components to same components to show that there really isn't any gouging going on and that it is a fair price for what you get.

EClass

Reaction score
LOL... yeah, I guess you're right. But, he wanted to know about lifts and we're just showing him some other options....

This is all good. Still undecided at the moment. I was looking at the Frankenlift today online actually. I think it was $1015. Add tires and I'm $1800-$1900. Not out of the question yet. What are budgets for anyway right!?!

Lil Black Liberty

Reaction score
Eclass, I currently run the Rough Country Lift Kit and I love it, mine is a 2WD and I will say it definitely helps with all these stupid potholes around where I live. I paid $415 for mine shipped, I currently am in the process of getting the RRO Extreme A-Arms, and yes some have had issues with RRO but not everybody it's just like JBA and Aussie and others. People have had issues with lots of companies it just depends on whether or not they follow through with their product and quality of service. I would just go ahead and get you a $400 lift kit, a new set of Firestone Destination A/T's, and you'll still have enough left over to buy your wife dinner and get (Bonus points) with her! :D

tommudd

Reaction score
OK I have set back and read enough to now add my 2 cents in here.
I never look at lifting a vehicle just to get higher or for looks , I look at it as up grading the suspension system to handle better be it on roads or off on a trail somewhere. Using any type of spacer lift will in a short time destroy your front shocks. Been proven way too many times.
Best setup is either a full on Frankenlift or do OME springs mentioned above. You can get as much height out of springs, top plate and a small clevis lift as you can a Frankenlift. OME springs and if you can still find them Rancho shocks are a great deal. You can do a great lift for 750/800 bucks easy and it will last you for 100,000 miles. Ask me how I know!:)
Another thing with a spacer type lift, if you are doing it you have to have rear shocks, while you have the front apart you may as well replace the stock junk shocks as well, so now you have bought 4 shocks, the price you paid for that daystar will buy you two springs. Add the price of two more springs and a few other goodies and you have a full blown lift.

Ok the Rev. is done preaching for now, think it over tonight in your dreams :)

Tom

yodejt02

Reaction score
I you want some decent top plates check over on the lost forum and PM Boiler. He is currently makeing top plates, among other things, for somewhere around $60. I dont think he has regestered on this forum yet.

He offers two sizes of top plates one is the same as the daystar, and another is thicker, like 3/4 inch.

long_tall_texan

Reaction score
Couple problems with this. The franky uses an 1.5" spacer not 2 seperate 1/4 and 1/2 spacers. Not everyone has access to a machine were they can hand make their own spacers. It's great that you did, but realisticaly nearly anyone else will have to spend 125 for the daystar 1.5" spacer. You saved 100 bucks on keeping with the Bilsteins shocks over OME, I was comparing apples to apples. IMHO having run both Bistien and OME, the OME was worht the extra cash. you don't say what rear shocks you chose either, at the price it looks like the rancho's which once again doesn't compare to the quality of the OME's nor apples to apples.

I understand that yes you can piece together a similar kit to a Franky for less. But the ride won't be as good either. For my comparo I used same components to same components to show that there really isn't any gouging going on and that it is a fair price for what you get.

Frankie spacers are not actually 1.5" additional. They are 1.5" overall. so if you add .75 to the stock iso, you get roughly the same amount. And it really doen not matter if you add one .75" spacer or a set of one .5" and one .25", the overall assemble stack and spring preload is the same. 1+2+3 is always going to equal the same as 3+3.

I have offered to make a set of those ABS spacers for anyone interested for $50. That is my material cost. Just trying to help out other KJ-ers.

Shocks. Well, anything is an improvement over OEM - Monroe or Gabriel would probably ride better. Some love the Ranchos, some swear by Bilstein, others prefer OME. I have had Rancho and Bilstein. Both rode great. I personally think Bilstein is better build quality than Rancho. OME may be better. I don't know. But I (an many others) are very happy with Rancho and Bilstein, which are less expensive than OME.

I you want some decent top plates check over on the lost forum and PM Boiler. He is currently making top plates, among other things, for somewhere around $60. I don't think he has regestered on this forum yet.

He offers two sizes of top plates one is the same as the daystar, and another is thicker, like 3/4 inch.

Boiler's top SPACER plates are not the same thing as Daystar top plates. They are not the actual shock mount. They are a spacer to go between the shock mount and the chassis to provide extra height outside of the shock/spring assembly. He has 2 thicknesses - 1/4" and 3/8", which yield an additional 1/2" and 3/4" actual lift respectively due to the geometry of the KJ.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=47813
Pricing:
1/4" shims: $40 shipped in the continental USA.
3/8" shims: $48 shipped in the continental USA.

yodejt02

Reaction score
all right then, my bad. Still its an option for the buget minded using the stock top plate with the larger shim. That way you dont have to buy a 2.5 inch lift, one could by a cheaper smaller lift and still get close to the 2.5 lift with shims and cleavis nuts

just a thought

long_tall_texan

Reaction score
It's all good. I was just elaborating on your suggestion. All the same intent.

And even though the OME springs alone advertise only 1.5" of lift, you will actually get about 2.5" out of them alone.

Then add a Boiler top spacer and a 3-ring Clevis lift, and you are just about the same height as a Franky.

For the rear, just do OME 948 and 2-3 extra isos per side and you are just about the same as Frankie there too.

Members online

No members online now.