High Altitude Expedition ~ 2010 (Sep 3~10)

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's time to post up another High Altitude Expedition!!!

Beth and I are heading up to Ouray, CO for a week of high altitude trails and great scenery on Sep 3~10, 2010.

This will be our 6th trip to the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado. The San Juan's are the youngest and most rugged range that make up the Rocky Mountains. Many peaks in the area are well over 14,000 feet high. The highest trail we can do is Imogene Pass... 13,114 feet (the second highest drivable pass in Colorado).

We plan on leaving Phoenix Sep 3rd and return on Sep 10th. We'll be staying in Montrose this year, which is 30 miles north of Ouray. Hotel rooms are almost half the price than they are in Ouray. Ouray is nice, but you pay tourist prices and the rooms have gotten too expensive for our pocket book ($113.00 a night for a Comfort Inn v.s. $69.00 for Best Western in Montrose using hotwire.com)

If you can find the time to make the trip... you won't be disappointed in the high mountain trails. None of the trails are really difficult, except for Poughkeepsie Gulch which I've never run. I've run all the other trails in the area in a stock height TJ, KJ and JK and never had any issues. Fear of height on the narrow mountain trails and lack of oxygen higher up would be the only limiting factors. Other than that, if you have good A/T tires, skids and tow hooks... you're good to go.

If anyone is interested in joining us for all, or part of the trip, let me know and I'll post up some more details.

You can check out some pics from two of our previous trips HERE and HERE.....

Got Oxygen??

03cb0a.jpg

04la4.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.