A little fun in the sand....(Yukon)

RumorsOFsurF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my wife to the coast for the weekend this past week, and had a little fun in the sand. We mostly stayed around Newport, OR, but we traveled south to Florence as well.

I had a slight misadventure on the south jetty in Newport and got my Yukon stuck in the sand. A recent storm caused a big drift of sand in the middle of the road and I drove over it without looking at the other side. The back side was much steeper and at a diagonal, so it was way off camber. With street tire pressure I got stuck trying to drive back up it. A kind kid in a Toyota pulled me out and I aired down to 12PSI and drove down on the beach and around the obstacle. Vehicles aren't allowed on the beach, just on the jetty, but it was my only option to get out lol. I was so stressed about hitting a rock or somehow damaging my nice Yukon that I didn't snap a pic of it stuck. It was interesting driving back to town on 12PSI. :pp:

I was wishing I had my Jeep not the Yukon at that moment! With proper recovery gear(a winch) and more ground clearance I would have been a lot better off! Plus I don't have to worry about rocks tearing off running boards and air dams on the Jeep! It's all utility.

Here is a pic on the sand near Florence...

2011-01-23_13-58-21_941.jpg

2011-01-23_13-58-47_946.jpg

I saw this Jeep winching across the face of a huge dune while I was there. Looked a little dicey!

2011-01-23_14-14-33_816.jpg

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice pics and Yukon.

Sometimes sand doesn't look bad and then you put 4,000 pounds on it and wished you aired down and had a pump. I have 2 that I carrry. The better one is an MV50 that hooks directly to the battery. It pumps up tires good after airing down.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.