2000 Jeep Cherokee ABS Problems

Mack114

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd. I just bought the vehicle and on test drive could feel it needed new brakes. The vehicle sat for about a year. I'll explain what is happening and then explain what I've done so far.
When driving the vehicle, I have a great pedal until I just about have to stop. Right before I completely stop, the brake pedal gives out and a loud noise is coming from the front of the vehicle(under the hood). In the pedal, you can feel somewhat of a knock when it does this. The vehicle, for a brief moment, discontinues breaking then immediately brakes again bringing the vehicle to a stop. The ABS light doesn't come on.

What I've done: I noticed a lot of rust on the calipers, rotors and very thin brake pads, i guess from sitting. I replaced the calipers, rotors and pads and the problem still exist. My next thought was Brake lines, so I inspected them and appear to be in really good shape, no "ballooning" what so ever and no signs of dry rot or leaks. I can't find a single leak anywhere in the brake system. My next thought was Master Cylinder. I was driving to pick up a new one, but pulled over to try something...I pulled the fuses from the ABS Sol and ABS Motor. ABS light came on and I started down the road, got up to about 25 mph and began to break and my initial problem went away. The Jeep slowed down great and came to a complete stop with no problems and the pedal felt great. So, now I figure I am in the right area. I checked the sensor's(they are fixed and cant be adjusted for distance) and they were really dirty so I cleaned them up and put them back on. I plugged the fuses back in and problem came back...I did try just plugging the ABS Motor back in without the ABS SOL, the Jeep comes to complete stop with no issues, but one thing I noticed, when holding the brake pedal down at a complete stop, If I slowly let off the pedal, I can feel the "pulsing" so I know something is working, but it just doesn't work when I have everything plugged in...

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and where do I go from here. I can't think of anything else besides replacing the ABS Sol. I want to hear what others have to say before I start diving into replacing the ABS, just in case I don't have to...

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome Matt.

The last time I had a brake pressure problem where I was losing pressure it was the master cyl. Not sure about the ABS but if it is pulsating that is what it is supposed to do to keep the brakes from locking up so I am not sure. (it should do that when you are stepping on the brake applying pressure though.

Not sure.

Dave

Horowitz

Reaction score
Considering purchasing a low mileage 2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), SE model, I6 motor, 4spd auto, 41k miles, from photos appears to be in really nice shape. Current owner says the ABS light is on, doesn't know why, but says "the brakes work fine". From our brief conversation he sounded clueless about it but who knows? He also said it had a V6 motor.....

Members online

No members online now.