Valve Springs

XtrmTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone done a Valve Spring replacement on a Jeep 4.0L ? Can you talk me through it please? Tools needed, tips, that sorta thing. Thanks !

SUPERD

Reaction score
Pretty simple on a 4.0, all you need is a spring compressor, some rope or an air fitting and compressor to hold the valves closed and a small magnet pick up tool to help get the keepers out of the retainers.
What happened, you replacing them all or just one?

XtrmTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep getting intermittent #43 error codes, multiple cylinder misfire. I just read on another forum :jawdrop: that '97 &'98 4.0's were a bad batch of valves springs causing this error code. That and I am going to decarbonize my 4.0 also, with H2O ! :patriot:

SUPERD

Reaction score
Normally a valve spring problem wouldn't be intermitent, that's usually electrical or fuel issues.
Any other codes?
By intermitent you mean it happens once a week or every day?

XtrmTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1997 TJ is not a DD, He only gets driven once in a blue moon. But almost every time I do drive him I get a #43 code, if not multiple #43 codes. (If I drive over 20 miles that is) I also got one that says something about the A/C, but I do not have A/C. This all started last winter at about 35,000 miles. I have replaced EVERY thing, Distributor (including new rotor and cap), Plugs and Wires, Crank Shaft position sensor, Maps sensor, 02 sensors, Fuel Pump, Injectors (using matched grade 5.0 'stang 4 hole ones now), new fuel filters. I clear the code and it just keeps coming back. I do not hear/feel any misfires. I had it cleared at a shop also. I read on another Jeep forum that 1997 and 1998 4.0L were given a Bad/Weak batch of valve springs and that by changing them out solves the misfire code (#43) from being thrown. I figure, why not, it can't hurt, heck I have done/tried everything else ! :pp:

Last edited:

SUPERD

Reaction score
Very possible but my money is your ECM is going bad, what's a set of springs gonna run?
83f76a43.jpg

this is all you need to swap em out

Last edited:

XtrmTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New ECM three (3) years ago. Looks like a spring set for about $88. I am gonna do some more shopping around to find a compleet Valve Spring/Guild/Seat set if I can. I need to buy those tools also. I have never done this, but from what I have read it dosen't sound too hard to do. Looks like you have done this, any tips/tricks you want to pass on before I try this ? TIA ! :patriot:

SUPERD

Reaction score
All you can change is the springs without tearin the head off, pretty simple, you can also stuff the cylinder with rope Thru the spark plug hole. if you don't have a compressor and adaptor, use like some clothesline cord, takes about 4-5 ft of it & turn the engine over by hand untill it softly bottoms out on the valves. Make sure it's at TDC on that particular cylinder.
You should be able to borrow/ rent the spring compressor at a good parts store for free with a deposit.

XtrmTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the springs (12 for $48). Got the spring compressor, got the rope, will do the swap my next days off. I'll post up how it goes.

XtrmTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done ! Rope trick worked great. All new valve springs and new 760X U-Joints installed ! :patriot: Eugene is ready for the SNOW !

Members online

No members online now.