Stop Hood Flutter

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info!!!!!! Not many know about that one.

Here is a Funny When I first got a wrangler in the dealership (I have never been close to one before) I did not even know how to open the hood. I took about 2 minutes looking for a hood release in the cab.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice idea. I will diffenently have to remember that.

daspes

Reaction score
FYI, to future JK owners...

They fixed the hood flutter about half way through 08 IIRC. Went to a stronger rubber.

My 07 has the AEV hood, and I've never had an issue with the hood lifting at highway speed.

JKMudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they may have "fixed" it, but mine still dances around alot, especially when you meet a semi or a strong gust of wind hits it right.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, to future JK owners...

They fixed the hood flutter about half way through 08 IIRC. Went to a stronger rubber.

My 07 has the AEV hood, and I've never had an issue with the hood lifting at highway speed.
Chrysler came out with a TSB or recall, I forget which, for the 09's and up. They replaced the latch with a stronger one... wrong. I bought a pair from the dealer for about $9.00. They worked for a month or two and it's back doing the same thing as before. The newer latches stretched just as the old ones did. Many folks on the JK forums also have reported the new latches did not fix the hood fluttter.

There are a few fixes and it's not the OEM part....

- buy the DayStarhttp://www.4wd.com/productdetails.a...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=producthttp://www.4wd.com/productdetails.a...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product latches for about $25.00 plus shipping

- do the ghetto fix with the zip tie

- do the ghetto fix AND remove the hood latch spring

You have to play with the zip tie... make it too loose and it won't work, too tight and it breaks easy. Even with the right tension it will eventually break, so I put new ones on every so often.

Just a note... while the experience of passing a big semi on a two lane road and the hood dancing around as it goes by can be scary, it is really nothing to worry about. The metal hood latch under the hood AND the rubber latches would both have to fail and that's highly unlikely. The hood flutter looks worse than it really is.

Hope this helps....

jk020.jpg

jk019.jpg

Last edited:

JKMudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it freaked me out a tad the first time it happened. Now Im pretty used to it.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got tired of carrying and replacing zip ties every time one broke. I bought the Daystar replacement latches for $24.95 and couldn't be happier. They're easy to install, less than 15 minutes. They are a little tight at first, but loosen up after a few days. No more hood flutter for me....

77133130.jpg

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a harder rubber compound? And does Daystar guarantee them?
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

Yes, a much harder compound. Never paid attention to the warranty, but for what it's worth I've never heard of their latches breaking.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got updated pics AZ to show off what they look like installed?

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got updated pics AZ to show off what they look like installed?
They really don't look any different than stock. The only difference is they say DayStar and have metal rods instead of the original plastic ones you have to break getting the old ones off.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So these where worth it then? No more flutter noise from them?

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So these where worth it then? No more flutter noise from them?
There was never any noise, the hood would actually flutter in a headwind, or when passing a semi on a two lane road. The new latches are a heavier compound than the crappy Jeep ones and hold the hood secure.

Well worth the money.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, so the whole hood wasn't strapped down securely as they are now.

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct... the original latches are weak and allowed the hood to flutter. The new latches are much stronger. Just another issue of a long line of issues Jeep sees fit to ignore.

interstate

Reaction score
Hood Hold Downs

This post is a bit old, but I'm new so I figured I'd share the one that my brother has on his 08. Drake Offroad makes it. He's had it on for about a year..

Attachments

• 124376-lg.jpg
    124376-lg.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 4

AngryRedBird

Reaction score
In The Begaining

The hood fluttered so much while traveling to the eastern shore of Maryland.. that it broke our footman loop.. We've since replaced the loop with an upgrade.. But as many here have suggested.. the hood latching system is the best alternative..

However, Before last years summer vacation, one of our gifts for the jeep was the full grille bra.. surprisingly.. and because the two piece bra closes or joins the gap between the hood and grille.. The hood doesn't flutter anymore.

So I'm wondering if by installing a bug guard or actually installing another rubber bigger hood seal would lessen the flutter also.

Members online

No members online now.