Steering stablizer went out; symptoms and fix

86mcss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I hit a bump at any speed the front suspension and steering wheel in my 05 Rubicon unlimited would vibrate uncontrollably and would only stop until I slowed down in speed. Some might consider this "death wobble" but seeing as how my suspension is stock this is not the case(even though it sure felt like it).

I inspected the front suspension of my jeep by getting the front end off the ground and onto some jack stands. I visually inspected and then physically inspected everything. I physically inspected the steering components by grabbing them and trying to feel for any "play". Everything felt solid.

I then removed my steering stabilizer and physically tested it and it was shot out.

I then went to my local 4 wheel parts and bought a pro comp steering stabilizer. I had success in the past with their shocks on a Silverado truck of mine so I decided to give them another try. I was informed they had a new and improved steering stab out for the Rubicon which was "fatter" than previous years and had a better rebound and heat dissipation. For $35 it seemed like a good deal to me.

The stab came with "everything" needed for installation but do not use the hardware they provide you with. Reuse your factory hardware since some of the hardware they provide you with is to big to work properly(at least in my case it was).

Other than that I am happy with my new steering stabilizer and it cured the violent shaking I experienced after hitting a bump at speed.

Ill try and take a picture tomorrow if anyone is interested in seeing a pro comp shock lol

:patriot:

Last edited:

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think pro-comp has some good stuff. Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the install tips.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.