Seriously thinking about buying a project CJ7...Thoughts?

RumorsOFsurF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted a CJ7 or CJ8, and before I bought my YJ I scoured the Auto Trader and newspapers(this was before Craigslist) for months to find the right Jeep. My YJ just found me, and in ten years I've never been disappointed with my purchase...........BUT, I still long for a CJ7.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I really want a stock CJ7, preferably with a hard top. As long as the stock bits are there, I'll be happy. My Dad owns a body/paint shop, so I can fix up the exterior. I just don't want something that's running 35's, cut fenders, V8, and cheesy aftermarket stuff everywhere.

I've been looking at Craigslist, and it seems original CJ7's are scarce, and those that are available are big money. It's a bit discouraging. I'm hoping to find something for <$3000 that I can fix up. I'm afraid by the time I can truly afford a decent CJ they'll all be gone or hacked to shit. 4 out of 5 on Craigslist are running at least 35's and cut fenders, spring overs, etc. :pp:

Must have:

Original sheet metal uncut, no body mods
Full top and doors, preferably hard top
Mostly original interior.. i.e. Original gauges and steering wheel, etc. Aftermarket seats are unavoidable, usually.
Tires 33" or smaller
No more than 2" lift or so
Original engine(regardless of condition) or cleanly installed replacement. No half-assed messy small block Chev transplants. I'd rather rebuild a 258 than fix someone's crappy mods.

Basically, I want something that has no irreversible mods. I want a (mostly) stock CJ that I can restore, not a trail rig.

Of course, it's hard for me to justify this considering my YJ could use a lot of TLC. It really needs a bunch of nickel and dime stuff that drives me crazy, but it's garaged so it's staying pretty nice.

Is this a pipe dream or something that I might be able to find? I've been away from the market for some time now.

Last edited:

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it is one of those things that is out there somewhere and hard to find. I will bet if you keep looking you will eventually find one. Keep looking. That's all you can do. Somewhere there is one sitting in a barn somewhere and you will hit paydirt.

Dave

XtrmTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a tall order, but like Dave said, keep scour ring the country side and you'll find one, some day. :)

my85jeep

Reaction score
You will hate me I found my 85 Canadian Military issue Cj-7 in a guys back yard no mods or cutting all stock parts on it. he had painted it twice this time it was lime green. $500 canadian all It needed was a new 258 as the one in it didn't surive the 16 year old daughters attempt to learn stick.

Members online

No members online now.