New life for a neglected YJ

jeepsurf

Reaction score
I've bought a YJ thats been sitting for 6 years. (pics further down) I'm getting ready to start it this weekend. I've changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air, oil, and fuel filters. I've changed the oil, coolant, dropped the gas tank and cleaned it out. The engine turns by hand so I think I'm good.

My objective for now is to get it started. I've got lots to do before I drive it. I'm gonna change the trans, tc, and diff fluids. The drum brakes (hardware) was so rusted the wheels wouldnt turn. When I took off the driveshaft, the caps and needle bearings came off, so I guess I'm buying new Ujoints. I've held off on the trans and TC fulid due to the PO said he parked it cause he thought there was a problem w/ the clutch slave. I'ma get it running and go from there. I guess this will become my offical build thread.

I need to buy a manual. I've just been kinda winging it so far. I'm deff gonna need it. I can't wait to fire it up this weekend. Its hard to find time to wrench on it between work, school, new baby, and wife nagging. Slowly but surely. I'm tempted to video the first engine turn over in 6 years. I should do that and post it here. I think I will :thumbsup:
Here are some pics -

This is how I found her, neglected for 6 years (notice no rear wheels :rofl:)

3.jpg

1.jpg

PO getting his crap out :rtft:

2.jpg

Got her home. The soft top turned to dust when I touched it.

4.jpg

5.jpg

I love the ghetto lean seats :hahaha:

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I love my jeep!

Overall not a bad find. I tossed the seats. I think I'ma got to the pick and pull and get some cavi seats.

PO was askin 1,500. I paid 600 :D He said that he replaced the clutch and slave but something wasnt right and he didn't have the money or time to fix it. He couldnt understand why I was so Interested in the jeep. Turns out I gotta bad addiction.

I'ma por 15 and hurc the tub. I'm also planing to swap to a family cage.
I havent decided if i'ma paint the dash grey, or swap it for a CJ dash. Thats a little later tho.

Heres some pics of where I'm at now:

Got the hardtop and a TJ bumper on

101_0744.jpg

Flushed out the fuel tank:

101_0740.jpg

I hate stickers. They've been on this jeep so long, they're like plastic

101_0750.jpg
[/quote]

Here's the story:

I had a 98 TJ. I always wanted a jeep and finally got that one. Eventually, I bought a Bestop 2 pc hard top with upper hard door sliders. $2,600

I had the TJ for about 4 years. We got pregnant and I figured I needed something bigger. I sold the jeep and top to a co-worker. Thats when jeep envy set in. Everywhere we went, I'd say "did you see that jeep that passed us" I think it was hardcore withdrawal. Everywhere I went, jeep this and jeep that. I couldnt stand it. I bought a 02 Tahoe z71 to replace it, but it just wasnt a jeep. Thats when I stumbled across my YJ. So I bought the yj and some time had passed, and the chick that bought my tj came over and asked if I'd put the soft top on for her. Then she says, " tell ya what, put the soft top on for me and you can have the hardtop back" I didnt waste a second gettin that top off :thumbsup: Then I wondered if it was possible that it'd fit the YJ. Guess what - It does :D So here I am. I'll be firing it up tomorrow for the first time. wish me luck.

Here's a pic. TJ hardtop, TJ upper hard sliders on a stock YJ-

101_0676.jpg

A TJ windshield tapers forward at the bottom which makes it appear to be a diff angle. My buddie and I swapped YJ/TJ doors once and the only thing that didnt line up was the striker.

I've changed the oil, oil filter, new pulgs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel and air filters, dropped the gas tank and cleaned it out. Also changed to coolant and fushed it. I put marvel mystery oil and turned it over. It should be ready to fire.

Nope. Tried all day. Got compression, got spark, sprayed ether in the throttle body. Nothing it'll turn over all day. So then I was thinking electrical. Then I noticed when I turn the key to on, no lights or buzzer. I never started a yj before but I'm sure there's something suppost to happen on the dash. I checked the fuse panel under the drivers side dash. The fuses were all old and falling apart so I replaced them. Still no lights on dash. My buddie says there should be a fuse block in the engine compartment. I'm not seeing it. His is a 95, and mine is a 90 so maybe a little different. I guess I'll finally give in and go buy a chiltons. Any advice?

101_0781.jpg

101_0782.jpg
[/quote]

I'm gonna fix the electrical issues first. I found out that my 1990 YJ doesnt have a fuse box in the engine bay. I have fusible links. Very sophisticated stuff here. http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1f/ec/5c/0900823d801fec5c/repairInfoPages.htm

So my next day off, I'll be checking these things out. I'd like to replace them with a fuse box off a newer YJ.
I found the computer above the heater earlier. I think there appears to be a couple wires comming from it that have been cut. But its tight up there so maybe they're comming from somewhere else. Either way this is gonna be fun to fix. I promse you, this engine WILL run again, maybe not well, but it'll run.

I found the power disribution center on a 90 YJ.

101_0791.jpg

jeepsurf

Reaction score
I'm looking for those fusible links, cave man technology.

Looking for the fusible links, i cut this rubber thing, only to find a splice.

1) PDB
2) inline rubber things
3) just a splice

101_0790.jpg

This is the path of the wires from the PDB along then thru the fire wall. I'm wondering if the fuses are somewhere inside this wire loom?

101_0792.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm getting power at the fuse box. I'm gonna break out the meter and check it. Good thing its tucked wayyyyyyyyyyyy up under the dash, easy to get to.

I just wanted to give u guys an update. No real progress yet. I'm working on it.

I got working on the jeep today and noticed I have a nice fuel puddle in the throttle body/intake manifold. I unpluged the fuel pump and turned the key in hopes of sucking that puddle out. It freakin started :eek:! It only ran for 20 sec, just enough time to suck out that gas. First time that jeep started in 6 years! So I pluged the fuel pump back in and tried to start it...nothing.....and a new puddle :brickwall My buddie came over and I had him turn the key while I watched the injector. I noticed it kinda dripping gas instead of atomizing it. I took the injector and the throttle body off, still having a pool of gas in the intake manifold. While I was inspecting the TB and injector, My buddie turned the key to see what would happen. It freakin started again and ran long enough to suck out that puddle! I started flippin thru my chiltons an noticed there are supposed to be two o - rings and a collar on the injector. I am missing one of the O rings. I think the fuel pressure is making a (leaky) injector, pushing fuel beside it instead of thru it, causing a puddle instead of a vapor. Thats as far as I got today but tomorrow I'm going to get some o rings and put it all back together and see what happens.

I was out working on the jeep today, putting new o rings on my fuel injector.
I finally got the throttle body and everything else back together when my wife stuck her head out the door holding my 1 y.o. son. She said "just give it up and come and eat. It hasnt ran in 6 years, one more night wont hurt." Funny, she happened to pop out there as I was just getting ready to turn the key. So I smiled and turned it. vvaaaaaarooooooommmmm. She said "holy crap it works!" :D:D:D:D:D I couldnt believe it- one stupid little o ring! Yep, so now its running. I just gotta put in a new rear u joint, rear brake hardware, new brake fluid, figure out why the head lights, wipers and horn dont work. I cant believe I got it runnin :D. I Bought a new injector just in case. I'ma take it back to autozone and buy other stuff I need.

Here's a question - I went out and started it today (just to see if it still ran, and it does :D) and I noticed back liquid spitting out of the exaust pipe. Is it oil or is it condensation? I hope its not oil. If it is wouldnt that be a valve issue?

Vaccumed out the jeep today - was full of leaves and pine needles.

101_0859.jpg

101_0860.jpg

Got in the drivers side floor pan with a screw driver to inspect the cancer.
It doesnt go thru so I guess I'm good.

101_0861.jpg

Can I just slap por15 over that rust or do I need to prep it?

I noticed stress fractures on both side riser mounts :eek:

101_0863.jpg

101_0862.jpg

This caulk stuff, do you guys hurc over it or remove it first?

101_0870.jpg

I bought this Bestop hard top 2 years ago, $2,600, and check out the cheap screws -

101_0877.jpg

I got some work ahead of me :D

More pics -

101_0866.jpg

101_0864.jpg

101_0865.jpg

101_0871.jpg
[/quote]

Today: First I installed a new rear DS ujoint. Kinda PITA. Then I replaced all the brakes and the rear drum hardware.
:rantscream: I FREAKIN HATE DRUM BRAKES. After I got all of that done, I did something nice-

I drove my yj today :D :rofl:

Yea I don't have seats but a cooler worked good enough to drive thru the neighborhood. I cant believe it runs. I need a new temp sending unit/ gauge and a oil press sending unit. And maybe seats. But I think I've sucessfully brought this YJ back from the dead.

Today was a good day.

The other day, I drove 100 miles to a u pull it salvage yard. After looking around for 3 hours, I found a two door cavi with decent seats. I got back to the house, and started looking for the seat hardware (risers and sliders). I found the risers but had trouble finding the sliders. Then panic set in. I think they accidently got thrown away with some steel I took to recycle.

I ordered some new sliders from quadratec, well, sliders for one side cause thats all i can afford :D
I was outside when UPS rolled up. I was so damn excited that I could put it all together and drive! I was waiting for that truck all day. As the UPS guy was walking towards me, I noticed a mangled up box with metal sticking out of it and tapped up all ghetto like. He smiles, hands it to me and says "Its looking rough" Of course he pops back in his truck and takes off before I can even begin to open the box. I get the box open- ONE RAIL AND THE SLIDER HANDLE. There's suppost to be 2 slider rails, hardware, and the slider handle.
I called Quadratec and they got right on it and I've got another one on the way. QT said it was the third call they got that day of UPS delivering a beat up package. I'ma take a pic of the box so you guys can see how bad the box is. The new one should be here on sat or sunday. So, I'll continue to wait.

Update-

I washed the jeep, put on the TJ bumpers, aquired a rear seat, gray roll bar padding, installed the drivers side cavi seat, and put on my new bestop traditional bikini top. Here's some pics - btw....the date on the cam is always wrong.

101_0896.jpg

101_0897.jpg

101_0898.jpg

101_0900.jpg

101_0903.jpg

Good thing my legs arent fat, the cavi seat sits a little higher -

101_0899.jpg

I've been trying to bang this fender out flat-

101_0901.jpg

The back seat I got matches and it says jeep...good find -

101_0905-1.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about the bumper end caps-

101_0902.jpg

Prolly gonna take those off.
The passenger seat is low cause its not installed yet. I need another slider. The 2 door cavi seats didnt bolt right up. I had to fab brackets. Easy work tho.
Soon as I fix the headlights (prolly the switch) and the wipers, I'm gonna get it on the road. Can I pass an inspection without the passenger seat? I know Rusty failed cause it wasnt bolted in.

jeepsurf

Reaction score
New life for a neglected YJ (pic heavy)

I also got a gray dash for it. This Heep has come a loooong way, and its got a wayz to go. I'll keep pushing along.

I never got a "true compression test". I used the finger method. My buddie has a gauge but we havent had time to check it yet. As far as the brakes - I'ma drain the fluid and replace it. I visually checked the lines and dont have any rust. I'll keep the doors off so if the brakes fail, I can use the ol tuck and roll method j/k. I'm deff paying close attention to them.

Update....

Here was the problem. Everything was working except the temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge. The temp gauge wasnt reading anything, and the oil gauge was pegged. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and the coolant temp sensor. Nothing changed. I was almost ready to buy two new gauges. Its the only thing keeping me from getting tags and drivin. My buddie at work who owned two YJ's helped me out a bit. He told me that on the back of the gauge pod, is a flemsy plastic circuit board. He said that rain had gotten to them and he had to replace them. Only place you can get them is the stealership. Well, I took mine apart and sanded all of the contacts. I figured if it didn't work, I'd just hard wire all of the gauges. I hate paying the dealership any $$$. Well, I put it all back together and took it for a drive. Everything works! :thumbsup:
Next - power steering, dash swap, herc, TJ flares, wheels, tires, shackles, lift, paint, money, money, more money...etc...

I don't know what I'll do when its all finished. Wait....yea I do...Wheel it, break it, fix it, and repeat :D

I was planning on buying some wheels, however, my inspection on my tahoe ran out 2 months ago. Apparently, our DMV keeps track of this. I got a letter in the mail that said I've got ten days to get it inspected. I got busy...blah...blah..forgot...... well, on the 12th day I got a letter that said "You are hereby fined $250. If you do not pay your fine, you will recieve a block on your registration." I got the inspection, but I don't think I can register the Jeep until I pay the fine :rofl:. And that would be the money for my wheels. So I'm headed to pay my fine right now. I lovvvvvveee giving people money for nothing. Oh and Quadratec sent me the wrong lug nuts :rofl:

I need a beer.

Guess what I got?

Another white 1990 yj!

jeep1.jpg

Here's the story:

Some PO decided to sell it to my buddie for stupid cheap. I guess he didnt know what it was worth. My buddie took the hard top and full steel doors for his 95 YJ. Then he sold it to me for cheap. I'm taking the power steering, wheels, tailgate, and grey dash. Then another friend's gonna buy it from me for cheap and do a frame up resto. I love when things like this happen.

So after about 20hrs worth of work, I've got power steering. Drives like a different animal. I love it. Switching the gear boxes and pump was work.
The donor YJ is a rust bucket. Those little welded in frame nuts started spining on me when I was trying to get the ps gear box off. Good thing the frame sides were rusted tru enough that I could get my vice grips in there.

The I had to remove the drivers side MM to get the ps pump bracket off.
Lots a fun. That parts done, next is swapping the dash.
Here's spme pics:

jeep12.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

jeep4.jpg

jeep5.jpg

jeep6.jpg

jeep8.jpg

jeep9.jpg

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

jeep11.jpg

Power steering pump bracket:

pumpbracket.jpg

Manual steering box:

steeringbox.jpg

I put tags on the jeep last week. I love it!

Floor gets really hot, and it deff doesnt like to go 55 mph.
It makes driving it interesting. :D

Now that its running, I get to start my build up.
I'm trading the donor YJ for some money and some 31 x 10.50's.
I'll prolly throw on a BL and some shackles while I'm saving for my
4" RC and 33" trXus MT's.

I'm going to line the tub too. Durabak sent me a couple of
swatches, one textured and one smooth. I can see using
the textured for a truck bed so things don't slide, but I don't
need that in my tub. I'ma go with smooth.

I also want to replace the torx bolts with regular hex heads.
Does anyone know the size for the windshield hinges?

I'm not keeping track of how much goes into it. Prolly better that way.
I'ma keep going till I'm satisfied :D

I'm not a big fan of shackle lifts or body lifts. I'm deff gonna get either a 1 or 2 inch BL and TJ flares. I'll see how I feel about it @ that point. First tho, I gotta get workin on the tub floor, it looks like hell. So I'll be investing in some POR and Durabak next check.

Power steering hose started leaking today. Not the rubber- Its the metal one
from the steering box. Musta tweaked it tryin to get it hooked up.

On the other hand, I fixed the wipers. Bad relay.

Ok. I get it.
Just Empty Every Pocket

Clutch slave went out today. :rofl: I'm on a very tight budget, and had planned on por and durabak this check. Looks like I'll be dropping my ax 5 instead. I'ma go ahead an convert to an external slave setup cause I don't wanna play this game again.

Anybody got a bell housing, fork, etc from a 94/95 ax 5 they wanna sell me?

Time for an update.

I bought some stuff. :D

TJ flares courtesy of JeSimmers form JF.com

101_1051.jpg

Got a 3 ton floor jack and 6 ton stands from Harbor Freight

101_1053.jpg

Also got the optional tranny adapter for my floor jack

101_1054.jpg

Last edited:

jeepsurf

Reaction score
Got some used 31 10.50's. Now I need rims

101_1055.jpg

Ordered some rust encapsulator from eastwood for the tub

101_1056.jpg

It's gonna look good.

101_1057.jpg

I ordered a 1995 ax 5 bellhousing, fork and bearing retainer from daves jeep in ohio. $150 shipped! I'm goin external! It should be here tomorrow.

I got some work ahead of me. Stay tuned......

I hate my Cavi seats. Sit way too high. My buddie just sold me his stock TJ seats for $50. Anybody want the cavi's? I'll trade for beer :D
I gotta lot to do to my heep, the work's piling up. I need to get busy.

Got some work done today. My little boy decided to hide daddy's Jeep keys so I bought a new lock cylinder. I used this write up
VVVVV

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jeepjunk/tilt/tilt.html

Took me a little while. That stupid lock plate retainer ring was a PITFA to remove. I rented the pullers from Advance for $128. I got all of it back when I returned the pullers. I love auto parts stores :thumbsup:

I moved on to the TJ flares. I know alot of you guys just cut the lip of the bottom of the flare, but I wanted to keep it. I traced the flare on cardboard and cut it out.

101_1082.jpg

Then did some masking.

101_1084.jpg

Then I threw up the template and drew a line.

101_1086.jpg

I've seen some guys off-set their flares so they don't cut into the inside tub. I wanted mine centered so I went with that. I new I'd have to patch the tub.

101_1087.jpg

I cut into the forward wheel well a little. A little hammer work and it looks fine. I just gotta get one of my friends to weld the seam.

101_1088.jpg

Inside the tub looking down at the forward wheel well.

101_1089.jpg

One down, 3 to go :thumbsup:

101_1090.jpg

The 31's are on some old CJ wheels 5 x 5.5. Thats what I was debating - use my stock wheels or get the craigers. The Jeep's parked for the time being till I complete the external slave conversion, so I'm gonna get the craigers when the wife allows it.
I need to work some extra or wait for tax time.

Update.

Got the TJ flares on. I think I like TJ flares better. I need to figure out where to get the side marker light sockets from a TJ. Next, I'm doin the external slave conversion. I asked my buddie to help me drop the TC and tranny. He said sure, and only if I help him tare down that donor jeep I sold him. Hell yea....how often do you get to take a cut-off wheel to a whole jeep!

stripped body mount bolts? no problem :rofl:

Coyandthebodymount.jpg

rusty U bolts? no problem!
this is me workin on the D30

JamesontheD30.jpg

I'm glad I helped with this. Now I've got reference pics of the drive train to make my slave conversion easy.

Update :D

I got the Tj flares done. I also scored some full hard doors for $150. :thumbsup:

258908380933.jpg

Next, time to swap for the external slave.
New (to me) bellhousing and fork:

258908465413.jpg

Taking the tranny off was fun. I had to cut my exhaust. I made a mess with the tranny fluid too. It was fun :laugh:

258891504261.jpg

258908546309.jpg

All this because somebody somewhere thought these were a great idea:

258908691077.jpg

Anybody that does this conversion needs to know that this clip is very important, It holds the fork pivot to the bell housing:

258908194437.jpg

258908273925.jpg

I've been busy so I havent got alot done in the past couple of months. I'm back on it now that warmer weather is here.

Next I'm getting the drive train back together, Durabak-ing the tub, and get this....
I bought a TJ roll cage with door surrounds. :eek: Yup, gonna run a TJ soft top durring the summer. Also gettin rid of the
Cavi seats (they suck) and I got some TJ seats. I'm gonna go with a 4" RC and 33's or 35's MT's.

Stay tuned.

The girl I sold my TJ to, has offered to sell it back to me for cheap. Cheap enough in fact, I can't pass it up.

Decisions, decisions............

:D

The General

Reaction score
WOW! Looks like it is going to be a good build thread :thumbup:

mudder trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the soa, i only needed new spring pads and brake lines. o and extend the drive shaft! pretty cheap for a big gain in clearance

jeepsurf

Reaction score
i did the soa, i only needed new spring pads and brake lines. o and extend the drive shaft! pretty cheap for a big gain in clearance

I was thinkin of goin with the rubicon express SOA kit with 2" springs. I'm gonna wait and see until after I strech the frame. Might need longer rear springs.

I'm reading everthing I can about 4 links with coilovers.

I'll wait and see how I feel when I get to that point.

firinmahlaza

Reaction score
Awesome!!

It needs work but these YJ's are so much fun to work on.. im trying to find a nice suspension lift kit for my 95 YJ.

Members online

No members online now.