My first question

UofMJeep

Reaction score
and wont be the last :crazy:

looking into a CJ-7 with a friend and we are debating on engines. Since alot of the ones that are being sold around here are the 6 cylinder, we wanted to to a chevy 350 (maybe). well my question is: what is the biggest engine for a CJ that will fit with the original engine mounts? Im no mechanic, nor is he, so fabrication is probably out of our range, but this rig is for learning as well. We thought about diesels and other crates but really want to know a good solid engine that would fit perfectly, and even better that we may find at a scrap yard.

Thanks

CH3NO2

Reaction score
There is nothing bad about the 6 cyl it has lots of torque and is very reliable. As far as V-8's a AMC 360 will be your easiest swap. They are plentiful and cheap in most wrecking yards. All AMC v-8, 304,360,390,401 all use the same mounts,if you can find a CJ with AMC V-8 any of the engines will be a bolt in swap.

Last edited:

UofMJeep

Reaction score
Now whats cheap? and how much for them to pull the engine and tranny? Im sure we could do it, but seeing as we have never done it before we may be there all day and night :)

Rick whats your favorite engine, or ones that you know have the least problems?

CH3NO2

Reaction score
The best engine is one that is maintained well. I know people with 240 6 cyl. with well over 250,000 miles on them then again I have seen people blow them up within 100,000 miles. Locally here a used 360 goes for around $500 Another good way to go is find a junk FSJ (wagoneer,j20 pickup) with v8 in it most likely will be a 360 and will all the parts you need. What type of off roading are you guys going to be doing? Running sand dunes requires a lot of horsepower where as rock crawling requires more gears. Trail riding and daily street driving can be done with out much changes, if any. Maybe a mild lift and set of tires.

UofMJeep

Reaction score
yeah mostly trail riding around town, maybe mudding. would like to load it up and go camping, so highway driving as well. but for now, no rock crawling and not even close to sand dunes! haha ill have to check some of the scrap yards around here and see what i can find. thanks for all the help so far!

UofMJeep

Reaction score
and from the looks of it, our camping adventures will be close to you - spring river :)

CH3NO2

Reaction score
Spring river is nice this time of year...From the sounds of what you want to do I wouldn't go to wild with the engine mods maybe a mild lift and some 33" tires and go have some fun!!!

UofMJeep

Reaction score
haha yeah thats exactly my thoughts! but i may do 35's hehe, i just want something unique, i like my rides to stand out!

monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SBC's are plentiful and cheap. Parts are usually cheaper than most any other brand. Get a set of bolt on conversion mounts. (You have to cut off the pinion bumpstop on the frame) and they go right on.

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
572 crate engine out of summit

:lol: jk but seriously the straight 6 would do fine. jeeps are light and you can have too much power that makes it not fun to drive. a 6 is powerful enough to do what you wont and cheaper to rebuild if you need to and mpg not to mention shit breaks when you have too much power cause you will floor it all the time. but then again the sound of a v8 :D

mudder trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a amc 360 in mine, i love it but i dont have room for a auto trans. u have a cj7? u can put a auto behind it!! pulling the motor and guts is really easy. if u do go with a amc let me know. i could give u advice on it!!!!
002-19.jpg

004-15.jpg

UofMJeep

Reaction score
mudder trucker i love your CJ!

no i dont have a 7 yet, but im looking for one! and i would love any advice you have for the amc. why do you want an auto? JW...

UofMJeep

Reaction score
still lookin!
trying to find the right one, and we dont seem to have many around here..

Stone

Reaction score
someone will correct me if im wrong but swapping in an amc v8 in place of a 258 just requires you to change the passenger side engine mount. I have a 360...with some stuff in my cj5...its wicked.

Then again I had a scrambler with a 258, 4 barrel carb, offenhauser intake and it was great. cept for on the highway but the 4spd and 4.56's didnt help that

Members online

No members online now.