High Altitude Expedition ~ 2008

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A post I made on another forum after our trip in the San Juan Mountains near Silverton and Ouray, CO. The San Juan's are the newest and ruggedest mountains that form the Rocky Mountains......

We missed having some folks from AZ LOST JEEPS or JeepKJ Country along for our 'High Altitude Expedition ~ 2008'. We did join up with my old Air Force buddy from Colorado Springs. We had a great time. The trip was more scenic than technical. The trails we did were not difficult, just a lot of rocks and sheer cliffs which are not for the faint of heart.

Just for planning purposes, the trip is not what I consider cheap. Gas food and lodging are expesive in and around Ouray. The six day trip cost us $1,350.00 for a room at the Comfort Inn at Ouray, food and gas. Gas was $4.17 a gallon up there. It's not a cheap area to play in.

Enjoy the pics....

daspes

Reaction score
The Ouray/Silverton area of the San Juan's is a MUST Wheel area at least once in your lifetime. Ouray is the reason why I bought land in CO for when I retire in 3 years!

If y'all can make the trip up there GO!!!

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ouray/Silverton area of the San Juan's is a MUST Wheel area at least once in your lifetime. Ouray is the reason why I bought land in CO for when I retire in 3 years!

If y'all can make the trip up there GO!!!
Congrats on buying the land!! My buddy would give anything to live there year around, but his wife said NO. LOL... I'd be leaving the wife behind if she were mine. She goes ballistic just riding on Hwy 550 between Silverton and Ouray!! She did a few trails up there with us on our first trip... she swore never again.

We're making our 6th trip up there Sep 3~10, 2010 if anybody wants to join us. While by no means an expert trail guide, I am familiar with all the trails in the Wells and Massey and Wilson books for the area. The only trails i haven't done are Pougkeepsie Gulch and Governor's Basin. Hmmm... I'll post up a run and see if anybody wants to go..

Members online

No members online now.