Hello - These are our Jeeps.

suzq044

Reaction score
This is Levi - My '82 Laredo WideTrac. Named for his color, not the "Levi's package"
He's got a 4.2L inline-6, that I'm currently working on Smogging. PITA.
Bought him for $500, about .. 2 years ago. He runs, he drives (just not in 4x4, because of not having a front drive-shaft). He's got a 5-speed transmission too.

The interior is going to be the rough part. I have so far emptied it and kinda cleaned it, only to put junk back into it until I can throw it away. (most is trash, few are parts). I have added Grand Wagoneer seats to it as well, and designed a bumper-guard for him as well. I have a lot designed, but not a whole lot of mechanical skill to produce anything out of it.

These pics are when he was in storage, he sits in our garage, to the dismay of my father & his BMW. lol
k4b1oi.jpg

351ilx2.jpg

This one, is Max, short for Maximus, because he's a Gladiator. He's got a 327 v8. We got him for free about a year ago, off the top of Palomar mountain. He just needs brakes, a rebuilt carburetor, and [we think] a fuel tank + lines. We know the lines are bad, but we don't know about the tank yet. But he runs 'n drives, he just can't stop so good. lol. This truck looks like it's got patina, but it's all various 'on-duty' paintjob's he's had. Forestry Service, Fire Dept, and who knows what else This truck was actually WHITE from the factory, in 1967. He's a J300 long-bed. All the chrome on him is in pretty good condition for what the truck has been through.

16hnlau.jpg

2czr40l.jpg

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Susan. A 2 dr Waggy. Not too comon. Most were 4 dr. Nice couple of jeeps.

Dave

suzq044

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Susan. A 2 dr Waggy. Not too comon. Most were 4 dr. Nice couple of jeeps.

Dave

Kinda why it's called a Cherokee, not a Wagoneer, or a Wagoneer Cherokee. It was it's own model, despite having a mostly-the-same body. LOL

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So Max was abandoned on top of the mountain, or the did the forest rangers just let you have it?

suzq044

Reaction score
On top of that mountain is actually an Observatory. The owner decided he didn't want to work on it anymore (it wasn't driving at the time, obviously). The truck spent most of it's time up in that last parking-spot, given it's only rust-hole (a piece of the bed where the floor meets the side-panel), from melting snow every year. After 2-3 (if i remember correctly) people failed to either show-up or take it, we did.

The jeep was up on non-public-land Observatory property. We had to get permission to go take a closer look the first time we went up there (before having it confirmed we were 'in the running' so to speak) to take a look at it. It'd been sitting there for quite some time, as I mentioned. Another FSJ enthusiast simply didn't want to watch it rot-away and asked about it, and posted on the forums that it was free. We got lucky. We got lucky to get it to his storage spot too, because of the guy we asked to tow it for us. His brakes were baking on the way down, so we had to stop a few times (quite a long twisting, curvy road for a big truck with a huge trailer on it).

Palomar Mtn, if you ever get curious.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good find! So whats your plans with both of them? Are you working on them now, or is this a future project?

suzq044

Reaction score
We're working on them when we can, we both recently became unemployed, so that leaves a lot of time, without a lot of money. We're kind of working on both @ the same time, working as we can, as I said. I apparently "missed" a few paychecks back in 2009, so I should be getting some cash in the mail soon. If I don't spend it all on Levi and getting him street-able, I will probably use some of it @ the junkyard to get a new steering [manual-transmission] column (totally necessary), hard to find though. Everybody has the damn Auto's. LOL

After we get these Jeeps done (and by 'done' i mean, daily-drivable), we'll probably begin working on the Chevy.. ('66 C10 Panel truck), and sell the XJ on the cheap, as that has become our little piece of hell, for a daily-driver. LOL (2.5L 5-spd 2 door)

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope to see some build up threads/pics on these.

ClovisMan

Reaction score
Hello, I've seen your FSJ's on IFSJA before. I remember reading the story of rescuing the Gladiator. I have a front driveshaft from the Wagoneer that might fit Levi (not sure if Waggy and Cherokee shafts are the same). It is a rebuilt unit so you can run it as is. It no longer fits since I did the SOA. (I had to source an XJ driveshaft) Let me know if you are interested.

suzq044

Reaction score
I can trade you an un-rebuilt one (we got it for free off craigslist) if you like? I don't have a lot of funds, otherwise.

Members online

No members online now.