Engine Stopping While Driving (98 Grand Cherokee)

rubberman15

Reaction score
Have a 1998 Grand Cherokee, 4cylinder, 2WD..ran ok until about a month ago then started stalling for no reason. All lights work, engine turns over, but will not start. Checked for fire, but not getting spark.

Had it towed to the Jeep dealer and they said I had a burnt harness wire and fixed it. They called me to pick it up. All ready to go. I pick it up and get about 5 miles from the dealer and it does the same thing again! Engine just stops and will not start back up.

Had it towed back to the dealer and they said it was the computer this time. Ordered a computer and 2 weeks later they called me and said that it was ready for pick up. Dead in traffic twice was too much so I asked them to take it on a longer test drive to confirm it was ready to go. Guess what... It happened again, but this time they were driving! They still think it is the computer and said that I must have gotten a bad one so they are ordering it again.

The one thing I can see is that it dies after it has been running for 5-6 miles or so, which is about the warm up time.

It's going on a month now without my car and it's getting frustrating.

My buddie works at a different dealer and say it sounds like the coil or some sensor because it runs fine until it warms up.

If anybody has anything, please let me know. My email address is [email protected].

Thanks

Dave

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have your answer but giving your post a bump.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.