cj5 VS cherokee

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 78 cj5 with a fiberglass body hard top hard doors and t18 tranny drives great.. but i think i might sell and get a cherokee because of more room and a/c..

what are the good and the bad when comparing these two? im trying to decide if i should go with the cj5 or a cherokee so tell me everything you know and opinions please!

RumorsOFsurF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say stick with the CJ. It's not the best daily driver, but it will appreciate in value(unless you're one of those guys who like to cut fenders and repaint flat black etc.) where an XJ will be worthless if any major component fails. I love XJ's, but they're just not worth much used.

I'd save my pennies and look for a $1000 beater car to drive daily if you need A/C.

Just my opinion, of course.

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say stick with the CJ. It's not the best daily driver, but it will appreciate in value(unless you're one of those guys who like to cut fenders and repaint flat black etc.) where an XJ will be worthless if any major component fails. I love XJ's, but they're just not worth much used.

I'd save my pennies and look for a $1000 beater car to drive daily if you need A/C.

Just my opinion, of course.

well i got a tahoe for a daily driver but i think im gonna end up with a nice 80s cj7 if everything works out

CT99XJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CJ: frame, aka easier to patch if it's got cancer spots, or even replace outright.

XJ: unibody. Nothing wrong with joining the Square Headlight Club. I've owned my share of XJ's and as long as you keep things greased and clean the underside if it snows (salt) or you go through mud (the devil!) they'll last you forever. A lot of people complain about unibodies not being good trail rigs because if you f*** something up, the whole rig is toast. The solution? pick good lines, be careful, and reinforce stuff. XJ's are usually a lot cheaper to find and build up to an equivalently-built CJ or wrangler, plus you get the advantage of coil-suspension front.

marktbaker84

Reaction score
Hey, looking into doing a 4.0l swap from a cherokee or yj. Has anyone done this swap? Is it a direct bolt in? Currently I have a blown 258 with a T176 trans. Any info on do's and don'ts of this swap is appreciated ;):emotions33:

Members online

No members online now.