Build Thread: Project 88 Grand Wagoneer

ClovisMan

Reaction score
Well this is going to be a long drawn out build since funds are being pinched. I will update it whenever I make a milestone feat. There are a couple of things I have already done but I did not document them. First I swapped the front grilles. When I got it, it had the final edition grille but it was all beat up. I acquired a 78 parts waggy and pulled the mint boobie grille from it and installed it on my 88. Next I performed an ignition upgrade and performed what is known as the Ford TFI upgrade that is documented here: TFI_Upgade
Now I have decided to start on my suspension lift upgrade. Instead of installing taller springs and calling it good, I opted to go with a Spring-Over swap in the front and a rear Shackle-Flip to net about a 7 inch lift.

Here is what I started with at stock height:
294-dsc-0297.jpg

293-dsc-0296.jpg

After some blood, sweat, and tears, I managed to get the axle out. If you will notice, I already swapped the stock steering knuckles out for flattops that have been milled, drilled, amd tapped to accept the high steer arms and spacers I got from PartsMike.com.
296-dsc-0299.jpg

297-dsc-0300.jpg

298-dsc-0301.jpg

The arms are already starting to rust. I guess I should have hit them with some black paint after installing them.

Here is how she sits right now:
299-dsc-0302.jpg

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright!! Will look forward on seeing this thread progress!

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good man so what kind of setup you going with? like a baja buggy, show, bogger, jacked up toy haha what ya got in mind?

ClovisMan

Reaction score
sounds good man so what kind of setup you going with? like a baja buggy, show, bogger, jacked up toy haha what ya got in mind?
I'm building more of an adventure vehicle. Plans are just enough lift and trimming to fit 35's. I'll stuff some lock-rite or Aussie lockers in the axles along with some 4.10 gears to give it just enough traction to get out a sticky situtation without sacrificing on-road driveability. I'll probably bed-line most of the truck and go with a flat black or camo paint job. I want to add a full-length roof-rack like a Con-ferr or a Surco with a spare tire mount, jack and shovel mount, and possibly some jerry-can mounts. It would also be cool to have one of those roof-top tents, but I may save that for the off-road military trailer I plan to build after this is complete. I'll put some sort of winch set-up on the truck and of course keep it stocked with tow straps, snatch blocks, d-rings, etc.

I have a low mileage engine that I pulled from the parts donor and I plan to rebuild with a mild RV/Towing cam, aluminum intake, rebuilt heads, and GM TBI Fuel Injection in hopes of going from about 12mpg to around 18. All in all I think this will be a fun project.

At this stage, I am in the process of removing 23 years of gunk and funk from the front axle so I can have the spring perches welded to it. While I have it out, I plan to install the 4.10 gears which I already have and I'm looking for the lunchbox locker. If anyone has an Aussie or Lock-rite for a Dana 44 they want to get rid of, they me know!!! Thanks.

JKMudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribing! Always good to see a project in the works.

I will have a J10 one day...mark my words.

oiw

Reaction score
Ive been looking at a full size Cherokee down the road from me. I want the 360 for my M715, and the rest of it would be for a 70s commando build.

ClovisMan

Reaction score
Haven't posted in while as I have been busy with the kiddos and fishing which also means that I haven't really done anything to the Jeep. Although this Saturday I did score a 1 ton 14 bolt full float GM Corporate axle for $75.00 that will be going into the rear of my GW. I need to pull the cover and see if it has the gov-lock or not and what the gear ratio is. Maybe I'll be lucky and they will be 4.10's already like I am putting in the front.

This also means that I will be doing an 8 lug conversion on the front 44. WOOT!

Pics to come...

AZ Outlaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gears... for what it's worth: I'm running 33" tires and just had Yukon 4.56 gears put on my JK. They're awesome!! Just the right amount of compromise between street and on the trail. If you're running 35's, you may want to consider going a little higher than 4.10's.

ClovisMan

Reaction score
Gears... for what it's worth: I'm running 33" tires and just had Yukon 4.56 gears put on my JK. They're awesome!! Just the right amount of compromise between street and on the trail. If you're running 35's, you may want to consider going a little higher than 4.10's.
My 88 has a 3-speed automagic TF727 with a final drive ratio of 1:1. The 4.10's will be more than enough.
Overdrive transmission benefit more from the numercially higher gears. If I ever switch to a 700r4 then I would probablt go with some 4.56's or 4.88's, but I don't ever really see myself doing that conversion.

RumorsOFsurF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Makes me miss my old Wag. If you swap that 14 bolt in to the rear it's going to be WAY wider than the front. It will probably look silly unless you swap the front as well. Maybe out of a Ford, since Chevs have a passenger side diff in the front.

Personally, I don't like the look of axles that stick way out the sides, but to each their own. I'd stick with the stock D44s.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't posted in while as I have been busy with the kiddos and fishing which also means that I haven't really done anything to the Jeep. Although this Saturday I did score a 1 ton 14 bolt full float GM Corporate axle for $75.00 that will be going into the rear of my GW. I need to pull the cover and see if it has the gov-lock or not and what the gear ratio is. Maybe I'll be lucky and they will be 4.10's already like I am putting in the front.

This also means that I will be doing an 8 lug conversion on the front 44. WOOT!

Pics to come...

Sounds like you will be having some fun soon with the install. Take lots of pics and then post them up here when you get the time :crazy:

ClovisMan

Reaction score
Well here is a pic of the $75.00 14 Bolt. It ended up having 3.73 gears. Grrrrr. Looks like I will have to change those as well if I decide to use it.

Attachments

• P6190004.jpg
    P6190004.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 4

ClovisMan

Reaction score
The SOA Perches are welded

Here is my axle ready for Spring-Over. I hit them with some old primer I had lying around to keep them from rusting too bad until I can run down and get some paint.
339-soa-perches.jpg

340-drivers-perch.jpg

341-passenger-perch.jpg

Members online

No members online now.