Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > Cherokee Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Cherokee Forum

knock knock

This is a discussion on knock knock within the Cherokee Forum forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
96 XJ here, 180k 4.0. Recently I've had a repetitive knock sound show up. You don't hear it on a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: asdfasdfasdfasd
Default knock knock
96 XJ here, 180k 4.0. Recently I've had a repetitive knock sound show up. You don't hear it on a cold start but after it warms up there's a distinctive lower pitched knock with a frequency of about 10 times a second, at idle. Seems to be coming from the bottom of the car/engine as you can hear it better from the sides and rear. The normal engine sounds seem to drown it out when you listen from over or in front of the engine. Not sure if the knocks increase in frequency along with acceleration.

Any ideas?
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: asdfasdfasdfasd
What I'm hearing sounds exactly like what's in this video where the guy is fixing his loose flexplate bolt, so I'm going on the assumption that's what I'm dealing with...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...ocking-125547/

As this just started would it do much harm to run with it like this for a few weeks? My other vehicle has a more serious problem I'm trying to deal with right now.
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Name: Ed
If you are gonna run it, baby it and drive it cautiously and don't make any unnecessary trips until you get it fixed.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote