Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > Grand Cherokee Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Grand Cherokee Forum

Engine Stopping While Driving (98 Grand Cherokee)

This is a discussion on Engine Stopping While Driving (98 Grand Cherokee) within the Grand Cherokee Forum forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
Have a 1998 Grand Cherokee, 4cylinder, 2WD..ran ok until about a month ago then started stalling for no reason. All ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Dave
Default Engine Stopping While Driving (98 Grand Cherokee)
Have a 1998 Grand Cherokee, 4cylinder, 2WD..ran ok until about a month ago then started stalling for no reason. All lights work, engine turns over, but will not start. Checked for fire, but not getting spark.

Had it towed to the Jeep dealer and they said I had a burnt harness wire and fixed it. They called me to pick it up. All ready to go. I pick it up and get about 5 miles from the dealer and it does the same thing again! Engine just stops and will not start back up.

Had it towed back to the dealer and they said it was the computer this time. Ordered a computer and 2 weeks later they called me and said that it was ready for pick up. Dead in traffic twice was too much so I asked them to take it on a longer test drive to confirm it was ready to go. Guess what... It happened again, but this time they were driving! They still think it is the computer and said that I must have gotten a bad one so they are ordering it again.

The one thing I can see is that it dies after it has been running for 5-6 miles or so, which is about the warm up time.

It's going on a month now without my car and it's getting frustrating.

My buddie works at a different dealer and say it sounds like the coil or some sensor because it runs fine until it warms up.

If anybody has anything, please let me know. My email address is idivehawaii@gmail.com.

Thanks
rubberman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Name: Dave
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have your answer but giving your post a bump.

Dave

Need More Stuff.......
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote