Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > Grand Cherokee Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Grand Cherokee Forum

98 Jeep wont shift into 2nd and 3rd gear sometimes.. Wierd problem

This is a discussion on 98 Jeep wont shift into 2nd and 3rd gear sometimes.. Wierd problem within the Grand Cherokee Forum forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it has 160k mileso n it and until now its been pretty much ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Candyman
Default 98 Jeep wont shift into 2nd and 3rd gear sometimes.. Wierd problem
I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it has 160k mileso n it and until now its been pretty much a flawless car. Iv startyed noticing in the last year or so that the car has issues when shifting into the 2nd but mostly 3rd gear's. Basicly when driving and going past say 30MPH the car will shift into 2nd but then sometimes not all the time the RPM's will go up to around 2500 and the car still hasnt shifted and basicly it has no power anymore because it wont shift.

Then after awhile it will shift, or which is wierd when i let go of the gas pedal for a second it will shift fine then. The real problem this poses is when making turns when at a stop light on the right and you know how sometimes you need to step on the gas to keep up with the traffic comming so they dont hit you ? Sometimes the car has no power and wont speed up because it wont shift. However it always shifts when i let go of the gas for a split second.

Sometimes this happens and sometimes it shifts fine without issues. I had the transmission flushed recently and they said it was dirty when they flushed it. What i dont understand is why would the car shift once i let go of the gas ? Its a 100% garuntee that it will shift if just let go of the pedal for a split second.

Iv found other mentions of this same problem online but couldnt really find a solution
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: phillip
i don't know if this will help, but my 98 did the same thing and it was the plug on the trans was loose. maybe this will help
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Candyman
problem solved.. It was the transmission output speed sensor. I replaced it the check engine light is off now and the Jeep shifts so smoothly i barely even notice it. No more high RPM either.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote