Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > Wrangler Forum > TJ Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

TJ Forum

Valve Springs

This is a discussion on Valve Springs within the TJ Forum forums, part of the Wrangler Forum category!
Anyone done a Valve Spring replacement on a Jeep 4.0L ? Can you talk me through it please? Tools needed, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: Tracy
Default Valve Springs
Anyone done a Valve Spring replacement on a Jeep 4.0L ? Can you talk me through it please? Tools needed, tips, that sorta thing. Thanks !

I am a Sheepdog, ... wolves Beware !
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: David
Pretty simple on a 4.0, all you need is a spring compressor, some rope or an air fitting and compressor to hold the valves closed and a small magnet pick up tool to help get the keepers out of the retainers.
What happened, you replacing them all or just one?
SUPERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I keep getting intermittent #43 error codes, multiple cylinder misfire. I just read on another forum that '97 &'98 4.0's were a bad batch of valves springs causing this error code. That and I am going to decarbonize my 4.0 also, with H2O !

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Normally a valve spring problem wouldn't be intermitent, that's usually electrical or fuel issues.
Any other codes?
By intermitent you mean it happens once a week or every day?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

My 1997 TJ is not a DD, He only gets driven once in a blue moon. But almost every time I do drive him I get a #43 code, if not multiple #43 codes. (If I drive over 20 miles that is) I also got one that says something about the A/C, but I do not have A/C. This all started last winter at about 35,000 miles. I have replaced EVERY thing, Distributor (including new rotor and cap), Plugs and Wires, Crank Shaft position sensor, Maps sensor, 02 sensors, Fuel Pump, Injectors (using matched grade 5.0 'stang 4 hole ones now), new fuel filters. I clear the code and it just keeps coming back. I do not hear/feel any misfires. I had it cleared at a shop also. I read on another Jeep forum that 1997 and 1998 4.0L were given a Bad/Weak batch of valve springs and that by changing them out solves the misfire code (#43) from being thrown. I figure, why not, it can't hurt, heck I have done/tried everything else !

Last edited by XtrmTJ; 09-11-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Very possible but my money is your ECM is going bad, what's a set of springs gonna run?

this is all you need to swap em out

Last edited by SUPERD; 09-11-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

New ECM three (3) years ago. Looks like a spring set for about $88. I am gonna do some more shopping around to find a compleet Valve Spring/Guild/Seat set if I can. I need to buy those tools also. I have never done this, but from what I have read it dosen't sound too hard to do. Looks like you have done this, any tips/tricks you want to pass on before I try this ? TIA !

Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

All you can change is the springs without tearin the head off, pretty simple, you can also stuff the cylinder with rope Thru the spark plug hole. if you don't have a compressor and adaptor, use like some clothesline cord, takes about 4-5 ft of it & turn the engine over by hand untill it softly bottoms out on the valves. Make sure it's at TDC on that particular cylinder.
You should be able to borrow/ rent the spring compressor at a good parts store for free with a deposit.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Thanks, I'll give it a go as soon as I find a good deal on a set of springs.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Got the springs (12 for $48). Got the spring compressor, got the rope, will do the swap my next days off. I'll post up how it goes.