Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > Full Size Jeeps
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Full Size Jeeps

Build Thread: Project 88 Grand Wagoneer

This is a discussion on Build Thread: Project 88 Grand Wagoneer within the Full Size Jeeps forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
Well this is going to be a long drawn out build since funds are being pinched. I will update it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Josh
Default Build Thread: Project 88 Grand Wagoneer
Well this is going to be a long drawn out build since funds are being pinched. I will update it whenever I make a milestone feat. There are a couple of things I have already done but I did not document them. First I swapped the front grilles. When I got it, it had the final edition grille but it was all beat up. I acquired a 78 parts waggy and pulled the mint boobie grille from it and installed it on my 88. Next I performed an ignition upgrade and performed what is known as the Ford TFI upgrade that is documented here: TFI_Upgade
Now I have decided to start on my suspension lift upgrade. Instead of installing taller springs and calling it good, I opted to go with a Spring-Over swap in the front and a rear Shackle-Flip to net about a 7 inch lift.

Here is what I started with at stock height:

After some blood, sweat, and tears, I managed to get the axle out. If you will notice, I already swapped the stock steering knuckles out for flattops that have been milled, drilled, amd tapped to accept the high steer arms and spacers I got from PartsMike.com.

The arms are already starting to rust. I guess I should have hit them with some black paint after installing them.

Here is how she sits right now:
ClovisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Administrator

Name: Bryan
Alright!! Will look forward on seeing this thread progress!

Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: Pratt
oooo i like where this is going. that thing is red too!

looking forward to seeing this build
kickitandholdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: phillip
can't wait to see this one. i always wanted a FSJ
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Administrator

How long have you had this fullsize?

Old 05-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How long have you had this fullsize?
I bought it last September for $700 and it pretty much sat in my driveway doing nothing since. I finally got the 78 parts rig out of my garage so now I can start the real work.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: Pratt
sounds good man so what kind of setup you going with? like a baja buggy, show, bogger, jacked up toy haha what ya got in mind?
kickitandholdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by kickitandholdit View Post
sounds good man so what kind of setup you going with? like a baja buggy, show, bogger, jacked up toy haha what ya got in mind?
I'm building more of an adventure vehicle. Plans are just enough lift and trimming to fit 35's. I'll stuff some lock-rite or Aussie lockers in the axles along with some 4.10 gears to give it just enough traction to get out a sticky situtation without sacrificing on-road driveability. I'll probably bed-line most of the truck and go with a flat black or camo paint job. I want to add a full-length roof-rack like a Con-ferr or a Surco with a spare tire mount, jack and shovel mount, and possibly some jerry-can mounts. It would also be cool to have one of those roof-top tents, but I may save that for the off-road military trailer I plan to build after this is complete. I'll put some sort of winch set-up on the truck and of course keep it stocked with tow straps, snatch blocks, d-rings, etc.

I have a low mileage engine that I pulled from the parts donor and I plan to rebuild with a mild RV/Towing cam, aluminum intake, rebuilt heads, and GM TBI Fuel Injection in hopes of going from about 12mpg to around 18. All in all I think this will be a fun project.

At this stage, I am in the process of removing 23 years of gunk and funk from the front axle so I can have the spring perches welded to it. While I have it out, I plan to install the 4.10 gears which I already have and I'm looking for the lunchbox locker. If anyone has an Aussie or Lock-rite for a Dana 44 they want to get rid of, they me know!!! Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Terry
Good luck on the build. I love the Cherokees!

Terry

2005 Jeep Liberty "Black Hawk Edition" 265/75/16" Tires 4:10's 8k Smittybilt Winch SC Rockstar Front Bumper etc etc :-)
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Administrator

Anything new on this Josh?