Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > General Discussion
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

General Discussion

Be Warned!!!

This is a discussion on Be Warned!!! within the General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
This 35 cent plastic POS part can ruin your day. It's the plastic bushing that the 4wd shifter cable slides ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: AJ
Default Be Warned!!!
This 35 cent plastic POS part can ruin your day. It's the plastic bushing that the 4wd shifter cable slides onto to keep it in place. They are located on either end of the cable, one at the shifter end and the other at the xfer case. When this POS part breaks, and you're in 4wd hi or low you're SOL. If you don't know what to do when it happens like I did, you either drive home in 4wd, or if it breaks while in neutral, you get towed home. I now know you can let the exhaust cool so you can reach in to access the linkage lever on the xfer case to manually put the Jeep back in 2wd.

Thanks Chrysler-Jeep bean counters for cutting corners on a 35 cent part rather than putting in a 40 cent metal bushing!! You really saved Chrysler a lot of money by having to replace the plastic bushing every time one breaks... and don't forget the labor to fix it under warranty. It would have been way cheaper to do it right the first time... no wonder with cost cutting efforts like this you idiots helped Chrysler go broke.

BTW... it happened to me last week on the trail in the middle of nowhere, and 25 miles from a one horse town once I did get back on the highway. I called the nearest Chrysler-Jeep dealer which was 200 miles away in Salt Lake City. Nobody in the entire state of Utah had the part, it was special order. Did a temp fix back in town by removing the skid plate and putting the cable back on securing it with a C-clip.

I've been told the same part can fail on a Liberty KJ as well as the Wrangler JK. I don't know about TJ's or YJ's.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing.........
other folks just don't understand!!

Last edited by AZ Outlaws; 06-28-2010 at 02:42 PM.
AZ Outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: David
Bummer dude, wranglers have linkages, no cables.
I'll bet all the new models are like that now!
Gotta love plastic $hit!!
SUPERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Administrator

Name: Bryan
Wow, its amazing how some people think! That sucks you had to deal with it when you were trailing.

Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SUPERD View Post
Bummer dude, wranglers have linkages, no cables.
I'll bet all the new models are like that now!
Gotta love plastic $hit!!
The Wrangler JK and Liberty KJ both have cables from the shifter to the linkage on the xfer case... don't know about the TJ or YJ. Never had anything like that happen to my '99 TJ and I've never owned a YJ.

I really wish I would of taken some money and fixed up my old TJ instead of buying the JK. The JK is more comfortable, has more room and has higher ground clearance than the TJ, but it's cheaply made. Too much hard plastic everywhere inside and the sheet metal is super thin. Go figure the JK comes stock with 3.21 gears and the Liberty came with 3.73 gears, but I guess that was due to trying to up their fuel economy numbers. Like I've said before... the bean counters are at work trying to save a few pennies and ruining the brand in the meantime. I'm really anxious to see what Fiat has in mind down the road for the Wrangler.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws View Post
The Wrangler JK and Liberty KJ both have cables from the shifter to the linkage on the xfer case... don't know about the TJ or YJ. Never had anything like that happen to my '99 TJ and I've never owned a YJ.
yeah I meant the TJ & YJ, I don't consider the JK as a wrangler, it's too comfortable & plasticy!
Two things that should not be used to describe a jeep.

At least I can get to use my old fiat jokes again, been a while since we seen one at the body shop, do you know why fiat's have rear window defrosters?
So your hands don't get cold while you are pushing it!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SUPERD View Post
yeah I meant the TJ & YJ, I don't consider the JK as a wrangler, it's too comfortable & plasticy!
Two things that should not be used to describe a jeep.
LMAO!!! So, the TJ doesn't have it's share of plastic and is it not more comfortable than the CJ and YJ?? Remember back when the YJ guys felt the same way about your TJ?? "What is the world coming to?? A Wrangler with coil springs!!"

Time to stand back and rethink your statement that you don't consider a JK a Wrangler. Yes, there are times I wish I had kept my TJ, but when I think about it... the JK as you said is way more comfortable which makes a better ride on long road trips to Moab and Ouray, espicially for old fat guys like me. It is more capable right out of the box than a TJ was. I won't even get into the fact a JK is a better platform for much larger lifts and tires. Just trim the fender flares and you can easily fit 35's with a cheap 2.0" coil spacer BB lift and shocks. I remember back when a TJ with 33's was a well built Jeep and required a 4" coil lift to get there.

I think if you spent some time in a JK and put the money into it as you did with the TJ, you would be happier with the JK's capabilities with 35" or 37" tires. A lot of people are putting 40" tires on their built JK's... try that on a TJ.

Bottom line... a YJ, TJ and a JK are ALL Wranglers. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages over each other.

LOL... I'll even do some 2.0~2.5 rated trails in my stock height KJ with you. Let's go Jeepin....

Last edited by AZ Outlaws; 06-29-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

oh I agree, don't get me wrong!
people cried when the YJ got square headlamps too!
I know dozens of people with JK's, not knocking their abilites, just more like a car now, hell the new ones are gonna have front IFS! WTF?
also gonna have 8.25 rear axles unless it's a rubicon package!
I run a body shop & have seen dozens if not a hundred of these come thru my shop, they are the cheapest built things I have ever had the displeasure to work on, whats not plastic is 26ga. tin foil!
milk jug bumpers on a jeep, give me a break!
fenders held on with plastic pop rivets, plastic grille shells, put the windshield down. looks like a banana laying on the hood!
I'm not biased just my opinion, take it for what it's worth, probably nothing.
I'll wheel with anyone in anything, new people are what keeps this sport growing, our club welcomes everyone, not just jeeps either, we got sami's, rovers, hummers, yotas, even a few obnoxiously expensive buggys too.

I am not bashing the JK, just not a fan of it!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

saw this the other day, hope it's a joke!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011JeepWrangler..jpg (89.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

SUPERD... I agree with everything you said. You forgot to mention all the rattles associated with the JK that I had to chase down to quite the ride. Boy, the bean counters had a field day with the current incarnation. It has it's advantages, but a lot of things were done wrong to save $$$. The entire Jeep brand is going in a direction I don't like. They should of left all the other models on the drawing board and concentrated on the Wrangler. You would of thought after all these years they could have gotten everything right by now.

Wasn't the JK designed when Daimler was still running Chrysler? I can't wait to see what the Italians do or don't do with it.

Oh... and tell me about the thin sheetmetal!! Almost put a dent in the quarter panel when I put on my US Air Force emblems. It's that thin!!

BTW... I never thought you were JK bashing, but rather stating an opinion, as i did. It's all good and for better or worse, the JK is a Wrangler.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

amen brother
oh yeah, love your KJ