Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > General Discussion
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

General Discussion

Replacing a metal brake line and flaring

This is a discussion on Replacing a metal brake line and flaring within the General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
I have a leak in the 3/16&quot; metal brake line that leads from somewhere under the brake cylinder up front ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: asdfasdfasdfasd
Default Replacing a metal brake line and flaring
I have a leak in the 3/16" metal brake line that leads from somewhere under the brake cylinder up front all the way back almost to the rear axle. The rearward 3 feet or so of the line is corroded and I'm hoping just to be able to replace that part of the line. I've got a piece of just straight prefab steel line that's already flared and has the hardware on it. My plan is to cut my current brake line just forward from where the corrosion is and disconnect / unscrew it at it's rearward point. Then I'll shape my new line, screw it into the rear connection and bring it forward and splice it into the existing line after flaring the existing line.

Problem is I've never flared a brake line before. It doesn't look too difficult in the videos but in all those scenarios they're putting the flare tool in a shop bench clamp and twisting things down super tight explaining that if the tool that holds the line isn't tight the flare tool will push it out of position when it's cranked down. My issue is I'll be doing this under the vehicle and won't have the advantage of leverage to get everything tight enough.

Any advice about doing this under a vehicle?

also

Any advice on how to bend this 3/16" steel tube? sand possible? bend tool?
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: asdfasdfasdfasd
After consulting with my regular mechanics I just let them do it because the whole line really needed to be replaced. Peace of mind.
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote