Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>


Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > General Discussion
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

General Discussion

POLL: How do you like your Jeeps? Stock, modded, etc.


This is a discussion on POLL: How do you like your Jeeps? Stock, modded, etc. within the General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
I've been thinking about our little community and how folks here view the Jeep experience. Obviously most of us probably ...


View Poll Results: How do you like your Jeeps?
Stock - No lift, factory wheels, etc. 1 4.55%
Functional, yet subtle upgrades - Tires, stereo, upgraded tires etc. but stock drivetrain. 1 4.55%
California Special - Chrome doodads, nifty accessories, shiny things for appearance. 0 0%
Modified, yet street friendly - Small lift, Mud tires, Winch, mid-size tires(33" or less), etc. 15 68.18%
Heavily modded - Exo, hvy duty/full width axles, lrg tires, lockers, beadlocks, body mods 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
RumorsOFsurF's Avatar
Full Access Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Monmouth, OR
Name: Nolan
Age: 36
Posts: 112
Default POLL: How do you like your Jeeps? Stock, modded, etc.
I've been thinking about our little community and how folks here view the Jeep experience. Obviously most of us probably like to at least run a trail here and there, otherwise we wouldn't join a nerdy forum about Jeeps.

What I'm wondering is how stock or modified we all like our Jeeps. Whether bone stock or full width axles and a V8, or somewhere in between.











I'll start:

Personally, I like a Jeep with a mostly stock appearance, yet one that has functional mods to help on and off road. A sleeper, in car terminology. A winch, other recovery gear, maybe a couple sizes bigger tires and a minor lift, even axle and V8 upgrades are cool, so long as they LOOK like they belong. Narrow those D44's or D60's if necessary to make the Jeep look factory and clean. I want my Jeep to look like a Jeep. No hacked fenders or aftermarket flares, no tires sticking out 8 inches on both sides.

I know I've posted LOTS of pics of my Jeep, but here's what I'm referring to:

My Jeep still looks fairly stock, but I've upgraded the tranny, rear axle, installed a winch and a bunch of other stuff. I'd like to eventually swap a small block Chev, lockers, and a few other things, but I want to retain the stock look.

RumorsOFsurF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Fulltimer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Name: Terry
Age: 72
Posts: 39
Default
Other than the bedlined body mine looks mostly stock. I added a steel front bumper with a winch and roof basket with lights. That is about all that is different from a stock appearance. If I'm parked by a 100% stock Liberty you can tell it's lifted and that the tires are bigger. Stock tires are 29" and my tires are 32". Then I also have full skid plates. The inside has really changes...no back seat!

Terry


__________________
2005 Jeep Liberty "Black Hawk Edition" 265/75/16" Tires 4:10's 8k Smittybilt Winch SC Rockstar Front Bumper etc etc :-)
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
CH3NO2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Central Arkansas
Name: Rick
Age: 65
Posts: 35
Default
I think the only part on my '76 that is still stock is the ignition switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (45.8 KB, 3 views)


__________________
'76 CJ7 401,Crane Cam, Edelbrock High Rise, Holly Carb,TH400 Trans, Quadtrac with part time kit. Full Floating D20 With Hy-Tuf axles, Gleason/Torsen (Google It) Differential,Full Cage , Mastercraft Seats With 4 point harness's.
CH3NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
JKMudder's Avatar
Full Access Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Name: Will
Age: 36
Posts: 118
Send a message via AIM to JKMudder
Default
I voted modified (although I plan to run 35s).

I like tough and functional mods. But I admit to doing some things purely for looks. You saw my gas cover right?


__________________
"Not all those who wander are lost" - Tolkien

Last edited by JKMudder; 06-15-2010 at 02:31 PM.
JKMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
AZ Outlaws's Avatar
Full Access Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Name: AJ
Posts: 400
Default
I guess I'll have to say a sleeper... slightly modified mainly because of $$$ restraints.
My set-up is a good compromise for highway and trail use. As it sits, it works very well for the moderate to slightly difficult trails I run. If I had more $$$ to put into my Jeep, which I don't, I'd like to go from a 2.0" coil spacer lift with 33" M/T's to a 4" coil lift with all the associated upgrades riding on 37's. I've spent a over $4k on mods and equipment so far and I need another $3k to finish my wish list.

Most of my mods and improvements are not really apparent unless you know about Jeeps, JK's in particular. Here's what I've done so far.........

My '08 Jeep Wrangler JK X 6-speed with all the mods listed below


Mods completed:

- Debadged (only club decals, got groceries? sticker, and USAF badges remain)
- Yukon 4.56 gears (replaced the crappy stock 3.21 gears)
- BFG M/T KM2 285/75-16 tires (33x11.5)
- Eagle Alloy 16" brushed aluminum wheels
- Rubicon Express 2.0" coil spacer lift w/monotube shocks
- Mopar Rubicon rock rails
- JKS sway bar quick disconnects
- TeraFlex heavy duty steering stabilizer
- Optima red top battery
- DayStar spare tire bump stops
- DayStar heavy duty hood latches
- Mopar door sill guards
- Mopar gas cap door cover
- Mopar heavy duty slush mats
- MasterCraft grab handles
- Front and rear axle vent tubes extended
- Cargo stop installed behind the front seats
- Vanity mirrors permanently installed on the sun visors
- Shorty 8" AM/FM antenna

Extra Stuff:

- Staun tire deflators
- Masterflow 12v air compressor
- Harbor Freight 8 ton bottle jack
- AEV JK jack base
- ARB tire repair kit
- Expedition One 4 gal "Geri" Fuel Pack (2)
- Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB radio peaked and tuned
- 3' FireStik antenna
- Garmin 60CSx GPS with 24k Southwest topo maps (trail)
- Garmin Nuvi 260W GPS (highway)
- Compaq laptop loaded with Southwest topo maps and saved trails

Wish list:

- Power Tank 10# Co2 system
- 4 KC Hi Lite off road lights
- Front and rear off road bumpers
- Oil pan skid plate
- Evaporator skid plate or relocate it
- Relocate muffler


__________________
'06 Jeep KJ Sport... w/some stuff
'08 Jeep JK X... w/even more stuff

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing.........
other folks just don't understand!!


Last edited by AZ Outlaws; 06-29-2010 at 12:50 PM.
AZ Outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
CT99XJ's Avatar
Full Access Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut, the Land of I-95
Name: Rob
Age: 32
Posts: 121
Send a message via AIM to CT99XJ
Default
Heavily Modified. Not much on my XJ is stock anymore except the front axle housing, the unibody, and interior pieces. Body mods have been done, some internal engine stuff, clocked T-case, Durango steering box, and a bunch of small tweaks I've done that make the suspension ride how I want. I don't run sway bars on this Jeep, and never will again.



My list of things in the works:

*tire carrier (hitting up the steel yard tomorrow)
*full belly skid
*working on building long arms (or if I end up swapping in the ford HP44 I have lying around, I might just go radius arm)
*2 low modification to the 231
*need a new SYE
*add a 1.5 to 2" budget boost to the 3-3.5" i have to eventually clear 35's
*Ballistic truss on the D30, custom preload double heim bars on the 8.25
*relocate rear shocks to spring plate, run through floor
*Fox 2.0 remote reservoirs
*working on adapting DubJay steering to the front
*Taurus E-fan, eliminate the mechanical fan altogether
*mount my Scot-bottle to the spare tire carrier inside for OBA
*Tie sliders into front bumper and rear bumper (when built)
CT99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield CA
Name: Sub-Zero
Age: 37
Posts: 77
Default
I have disco's and a steering guard. I need to fab a bumper and then will be installing a winch soon after. Other than that my ruby will stay mostly stock. There is no reason to do anything else to her


__________________
86mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
RumorsOFsurF's Avatar
Full Access Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Monmouth, OR
Name: Nolan
Age: 36
Posts: 112
Default
Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws View Post
I guess I'll have to say a sleeper... slightly modified mainly because of $$$ restraints.
My set-up is a good compromise for highway and trail use. As it sits, it works very well for the moderate to slightly difficult trails I run. If I had more $$$ to put into my Jeep, which I don't, I'd like to go from a 2.0" coil spacer lift with 33" M/T's to a 4" coil lift with all the associated upgrades riding on 37's. I've spent a over $4k on mods and equipment so far and I need another $3k to finish my wish list.

Most of my mods and improvements are not really apparent unless you know about Jeeps, JK's in particular. Here's what I've done so far.........

My '08 Jeep Wrangler JK X 6-speed with all the mods listed below





Mods completed:

- Debadged (only club decals, got groceries? sticker, and USAF badges remain)
- Yukon 4.56 gears (replaced the crappy stock 3.21 gears)
- BFG M/T KM2 285/75-16 tires (33x11.5)
- Eagle Alloy 16" brushed aluminum wheels
- Rubicon Express 2.0" coil spacer lift w/monotube shocks
- Mopar Rubicon rock rails
- JKS sway bar quick disconnects
- TeraFlex heavy duty steering stabilizer
- Optima red top battery
- DayStar spare tire bump stops
- DayStar heavy duty hood latches
- Mopar door sill guards
- Mopar gas cap door cover
- Mopar heavy duty slush mats
- MasterCraft grab handles
- Front and rear axle vent tubes extended
- Cargo stop installed behind the front seats
- Vanity mirrors permanently installed on the sun visors
- Shorty 8" AM/FM antenna

Extra Stuff:

- Staun tire deflators
- Masterflow 12v air compressor
- Harbor Freight 8 ton bottle jack
- AEV JK jack base
- ARB tire repair kit
- Expedition One 4 gal "Geri" Fuel Pack (2)
- Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB radio peaked and tuned
- 3' FireStik antenna
- Garmin 60CSx GPS with 24k Southwest topo maps (trail)
- Garmin Nuvi 260W GPS (highway)
- Compaq laptop loaded with Southwest topo maps and saved trails

Wish list:

- Power Tank 10# Co2 system
- 4 KC Hi Lite off road lights
- Front and rear off road bumpers
- Oil pan skid plate
- Evaporator skid plate or relocate it
- Relocate muffler


I'd put a winch on it first, but your rig is about like how I'd do it. 33's are about as big as I'd ever go, though. Very cool JK!
RumorsOFsurF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
 
narleycarley's Avatar
Full Access Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baytown, Texas
Name: Oscar
Age: 37
Posts: 79
Cool
Originally Posted by RumorsOFsurF View Post
I'd put a winch on it first, but your rig is about like how I'd do it. 33's are about as big as I'd ever go, though. Very cool JK!
But the JKs come with 32's from factory, so going 33's is really no difference. Now the TJs, with I think it's close to a 28, is a difference.


__________________
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport stock
narleycarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
AZ Outlaws's Avatar
Full Access Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Name: AJ
Posts: 400
Default
Originally Posted by RumorsOFsurF View Post
I'd put a winch on it first, but your rig is about like how I'd do it. 33's are about as big as I'd ever go, though. Very cool JK!
Thanks!!

I don't have a real need for a winch, saving pennies for the other stuff on my wish list. My Next purchase is off road bumpers. Gotta wait until I ding up the milk jug plastic bumpers so i can file an insurance claim. With my low insurance deductable I'll take their money, add some of my $$$ and get them that way. No sense paying the total cost of bumpers entirely with my money.

Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
But the JKs come with 32's from factory, so going 33's is really no difference. Now the TJs, with I think it's close to a 28, is a difference.
Not true... it all depends on what model and package you get.

The X, now renamed the Sport, comes standard with 225/75-16 (29x9) street tires. If you get the "Customer Preferred Package 23S" for an additional $2,840.00, you get the 17" Rubicon rims on Goodyear 255/75-17 (32x10) street tires and a few other goodies. The Rubicon models come with the old 32x10.5" BFG KM tires AND bigger springs and longer shocks.

Going from 32x10 to a 33x11.5 might not seem like all that much, but it does require a 2.0" coil spacer lift and some air dam trimming on a X/Sport model. The set up I have does make just enough difference and is more than enough to do moderate to slightly difficult trails I run. Many JK owners install a 3.0" lift and put 35x12.5 tires on their Jeep. Many run with a 4.0" lift, trim their fender flares and roll on 37's. Keep in mind... a coil lift 3.0" and over requires more mods than just a lift which raises the price to run those 35" and larger tires. Money I didn't want to spend.

But hey, it's a Jeep... build it to suit your wants, needs and what you can afford. LOL... now if I had deep pockets, I may have considered going bigger. Ha ha... living on my Air Force retirement and social security has me watching my pennies more than I used to.

My JK X the day I bought it home with the 23S package....



__________________
'06 Jeep KJ Sport... w/some stuff
'08 Jeep JK X... w/even more stuff

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing.........
other folks just don't understand!!


Last edited by AZ Outlaws; 06-30-2010 at 02:58 PM.
AZ Outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Toledo-Home of Jeeps! tommudd Introduction 7 01-19-2011 12:28 AM
the family jeeps Pasaway Member's Photos 6 11-13-2010 08:55 PM
Using Stock Fuse Box GoCougs General Discussion 7 04-29-2010 06:57 AM
New JK Stock Stuff STP For Sale 0 04-06-2010 10:44 AM
narleycarley's jeeps narleycarley Member's Photos 2 03-25-2010 10:40 AM