Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > General Discussion
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

General Discussion

Jeeps cherokee/grand cherokee rolling over

This is a discussion on Jeeps cherokee/grand cherokee rolling over within the General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
What era did the jeep cherokee/grand cherokee have trouble with rolling over when making turns etc? I remember hearing about ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: David Bell
Default Jeeps cherokee/grand cherokee rolling over
What era did the jeep cherokee/grand cherokee have trouble with rolling over when making turns etc? I remember hearing about back in the 90's.
davbell22602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: Nolan
A Cherokee/Grand is just like any other SUV. Of course it's going to be more top-heavy than your family sedan, but they're perfectly safe. Obviously you're not going to be taking it out for a slalom or anything. It's going to be no more likely to roll over than an Explorer, Tahoe, Blazer, Expedition, etc.

There's no substitute for a competent driver. Drive assertively(not aggresively) and maintain situational awareness and you'll be fine. You can't blame an SUV for bad driving, and that's exactly what folks have tried to do with SUVs since the CJ5 gained notoriety for rolling over easily.
RumorsOFsurF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Administrator

Name: Bryan
Like someone else said before, it really all depends on how good of a driver you are. There will be those chances of roll over of course, but most of the time when you see a roll over accident, it was driver error.

Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: David Bell
OK, I get it. Must have gotten it mixed up with something else.
davbell22602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: David
you are thinking of the ford explorer (xploder), they tried to blame it on the firestone tires (morons not checking their tire pressure) but eventually gave up.
i worked at a ford dealership then, used 3 sets of the firestone wilderness tires in question without a single failure, were cheap too, couldn't give them away after the bad press!
as previously stated, roll overs (most) are from driver error (overcorrecting) or a tire failure, I've had my TJ on 2 wheels after swerving to miss a dog, the next one gets hit, sorry peta!
SUPERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: Rob
Send a message via AIM to CT99XJ
Rollovers like what you're thinking of were generally rigs over 6 inches of lift with no sway bars.

"What you need to realize is, you're talking me through an autocross course where the intent is to avoid the cones. You need to understand this is completely foreign to me. I'm used to crawling OVER obstacles, not driving AROUND them."
CT99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Name: Dave
Originally Posted by SUPERD View Post
you are thinking of the ford explorer (xploder), they tried to blame it on the firestone tires (morons not checking their tire pressure) but eventually gave up.
i worked at a ford dealership then, used 3 sets of the firestone wilderness tires in question without a single failure, were cheap too, couldn't give them away after the bad press!
as previously stated, roll overs (most) are from driver error (overcorrecting) or a tire failure, I've had my TJ on 2 wheels after swerving to miss a dog, the next one gets hit, sorry peta!
Yeah, and I think all of that debaucle started the feds mandating TPMS, ESC, and all the other safety systems to protect all of us who don't check tire pressures, don't know how to drive, etc, etc......makes me mad when I think of it.

Dave

Need More Stuff.......
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote