Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > General Discussion
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

General Discussion

General Tires

This is a discussion on General Tires within the General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
Anybody heard anything bad about general tires recently? I know the reviews are just as good as bf goodrich on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: David Bell
Default General Tires
Anybody heard anything bad about general tires recently? I know the reviews are just as good as bf goodrich on tirerack. I'm thinking on getting a set of the grabber AT-2 tires.
davbell22602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Johnny
I have only heard good things about them... However the ameritacks I have on my truck from them SUCK. I'm pretty sure they are a saftey hazzard..
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Michael
They are a pretty good AT , just keep in mind that AT's gum up pretty easy as soon as it gets wet.

'06 KJ Sport & '07 JK Unlimited

Jeep Tech Files
daspes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: David Bell
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
They are a pretty good AT , just keep in mind that AT's gum up pretty easy as soon as it gets wet.
Got any proof of the AT gumming up?
davbell22602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Michael
Originally Posted by davbell22602 View Post
Got any proof of the AT gumming up?
???? Nearly all AT's gum up in the mud (there is a difference between wet dirt and mud), some do a little better, but it's no replacement for a MT offroad. They do well in the dirt, on the street, in the snow, pretty much everywhere. But they aren't the best in any situation, it's a compromise tire.

Proof? Brief google search and here are a few excerpts:

From offroaders.com -
All Terrains - All Terrain tires or AT are a compromise. All Terrains are an attempt to offer good performance both on road as well as offroad. The ALL TERRAIN TREAD is intended to performs well under a variety of conditions found offroad while still offering acceptable on-highway performance. This is accomplished by using a tread pattern design where the lugs are tighter together than a more aggressive mud tire's tread. The result is usually a quieter ride on the street than a mud tire due to its lesser aggressive tread pattern. When compared to a street tire, All Terrain tires usually produce more noise. The payoff of an All Terrain Tire is that they performs well on a variety of terrains: rocks, sand, somewhat in the mud while still offering decent traction on the paved road. One drawback of an all terrain is that the tread design tends to pack with mud however some of the AT designs perform surprisingly well in muddy conditions. The AT All Terrain is typically the tire for the 4-wheeler who drives their 4x4 as a daily driver and will see minimal trail use and more on highway driving.

Rangerovers.com -
All-Terrain versus Mud-Terrain Tires

Overview:
Nowadays, so-called "All-Terrain" (AT) tires are so similar to street tires that there is little off-road advantage to be gained by some of them. The latest re-design of the BFG A/T is a welcome exception to this rule, with wider voids at the shoulders. Also slightly more aggressive average are the recently introduced Big O XT, and Cooper Discoverer ST. These have tread patterns with larger voids than traditional all-terrains, and are uniformly open across the tire surface. They look more aggressive, and are noisier, but the tread blocks are larger as well as the voids, and I am not sure how much advantage is gained overall.
For serious off road use, however, the principal alternative tread design to an All-Terrain (AT) is the Mud-Terrain (MT) tire -- aggressive, no-nonsense treads designed to perform well in mud, but with drawbacks in highway noise, grip, and responsiveness. Mud tires are poor performers on wet pavement, ice and snow, and care must be taken in sand not to let them dig you in. But, mud is where you tend to get stuck, and mud tires are almost the only answer there. (I say almost, because some people advocate using chains instead).

From JCBoffroad-
All Terrains - All Terrain tires or A/T are a compromise. All Terrains are an attempt to offer good performance both on and off-road. The A/T is intended to perform well under a many various conditions found off-road while still offering acceptable highway performance. This is accomplished by using a tread pattern design where the lugs are tighter together rather than that of a more aggressive mud tire. The result is a quieter ride on the street than a typhical mud terrain tire due to a less aggressive tread. When compared to a street tire, All Terrain tires are usually louder on the street. The payoff of an All Terrain Tire is that they will perform well on a vast variety of terrain for instance rock, sand, and even the mud while still offering good traction on the highways. One drawback of most all terrain tires is that the tread designs tend to pack with mud however some of the AT designs perform very well in the mud. The A/T tire is typically the choice for the persont who drives their vehicle as a daily driver and it will see a minimal trail use.

'06 KJ Sport & '07 JK Unlimited

Jeep Tech Files
daspes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: Jayme
Send a message via AIM to yellocoyote
I don't run the Generals, but my BFG AT's are horrible in soupy mud. They are fantastic anywhere else - rock, sand, dirt, snow, etc. - but pretty abysmal in the mud.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Jim
Most ATs suck in the mud. I've had very similar results with BFG ATs to Yello's post above. My Cooper STs actually did pretty good in mud, but they weren't true mudders.
Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
I don't know about General all terrians, but their MTs aren't bad.
I've got BFG all terrians on my 2wd truck, I have to say they have surprised me. They do pretty good for an AT.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Josh
It's a good all around tire it will last long and they pull fairly decent
Josh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Brian
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Black Liberty
Had nothing but amazing luck with my Firestone Destination A/T's.. I got into some soupy wet mud I mean it was really soupy.. I had gotten stuck before in my Kumho A/Ts but now that I got the Firestones I have absolutely no problems.
Lil Black Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote