Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > Liberty Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Liberty Forum

Lifting a 2002 Liberty on a budget

This is a discussion on Lifting a 2002 Liberty on a budget within the Liberty Forum forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
My friend has asked me to help lift his 2002 Jeep Liberty. I don't know much about the suspension of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Stephan
Default Lifting a 2002 Liberty on a budget
My friend has asked me to help lift his 2002 Jeep Liberty. I don't know much about the suspension of the Jeep yet, but from what I have found online there are multiple kits available. Are these two kits compatible to create a total lift of 5"-6"? Or would putting them together cause problems?

3.5" X Factor System by Rock Krawler and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3

Skyjacker Suspension and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3

Thanks for any help
Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: David
you cannot combine those kits for 6" of lift, his control arms & brake lines are too short.
without spending 2-5 grand on a custom suspension you will never get that ammount of lift & it still be safe to drive.
I'd go with the Rock Krawler kit with the strut forks, it will still have the factory ride quality.
SUPERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I understand the control arm part, but brake lines can be extended. Are there any aftermarket control arms to be able to take that kind of lift? Are there aftermarket spindles for thee Jeeps? Do you have a link a kit that we could get this ammount of lift?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

as far as I know there are no comercially available lifts for a liberty other than the budget boost, coil lift or strut forks.
all in the 2" to 3.5" lift range.
full custom 3 or 4 link with a solid axle is probably your only choice
Old 07-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

send AZ Outlaw a PM, he's into the KJ stuff pretty deep
Old 07-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: AJ
I can't help him out. My KJ is stock height with full skids and A/T tires. Don't know much more about KJ lifts than what SUPERD already mentioned in his previous post.... 2.5~3.5" max without doing a SFA conversion.

My suggestion would be to get with Daspes or Google a KJ specific site (or follow the link in my signature).

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing.........
other folks just don't understand!!

AZ Outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: Tammy
I have a Rusty's 2.5 suspension lift and run 245's and have no issues when wheeling etc. I would stay away from the rock krawler lift , haven't heard good things on it. Jeepin by Al sells upper control arms and a 2.5, 4 and a 6inch lift for the KJ. He also has many other custom things for the KJ. All J products makes the frankenlift which is a 2.5 but usually ends up higher. I am thinking of redoing my lift either the franky or Jeepin by Al's just depends on the money situation I would love to go the 6inch but budget wise I don't see it, but who knows, Hopefully I helped ya a bit Here are a few links for ya to check out.

Jeep Liberty lift kits, Specializing in upper control arms & axle swaps

All J Products - Jeep Liberty KJ Products, ARB bumpers, Daystar, Frankenlift, Super Skid, Rancho, OME and more

Rusty's 2.5 lift Rusty's Skids "Engine/Trans/Transfer/Gas/Rear Diff 3.7L V6 45RFE 4 Speed Automatic Select Trac Sunroof 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's 2006 Rubicon Moab Wheels Ventvisors 3rd Brake Light Mod. 2 Custom Mounted 4 Cell D. Black Maglites Rear Tail Light Guards Cobra 75WXST 40 Channel Remote Cb with weather station Firestick II Antenna Arizona Rocky Road Antenna Mount Husky Liners, Front, Back and Rear Cargo
02liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

The 4" and 6" suspension kits for jeepinbyal are rediculous. My wife and I own two Chevy Colorados and I thought the 5" suspension kit for almost $2k was expensive. There is less invloved in the Jeep kit and it costs $5k

I haven't looked under the Jeep yet to see what it will take to lift it. Maybe I will get lower control arm and front diff. drop fabricated and then do the two kits I posted originally. Then I'll move on and see what it will take to do the rear. Maybe a custom 2-link with larger coils

Last edited by Chevy; 07-28-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

I really don't see any problem with putting the kits together. The jeepinbyal 6" lift is just a 6" extended coil-over for the front with new brake lines, upper arm, and steering knuckles It should work

6in Install Pictures
Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

yeah they are expensive but they work and were engineered to work properly without making it an unsafe POS on the street.
I was on his site for an hour last night, he has done his homework.
the reason the price is so high is because of all the R&D he put into this, what looks good on paper & is acceptable off road doesn't always work in the real world.
hope your friend has something else to drive daily.
keep us posted