Welcome to the Jeep Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Jeep Forum > Jeep Forum - Jeep Models > CJ Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

CJ Forum

My first question

This is a discussion on My first question within the CJ Forum forums, part of the Jeep Forum - Jeep Models category!
and wont be the last looking into a CJ-7 with a friend and we are debating on engines. Since alot ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Brent
Default My first question
and wont be the last

looking into a CJ-7 with a friend and we are debating on engines. Since alot of the ones that are being sold around here are the 6 cylinder, we wanted to to a chevy 350 (maybe). well my question is: what is the biggest engine for a CJ that will fit with the original engine mounts? Im no mechanic, nor is he, so fabrication is probably out of our range, but this rig is for learning as well. We thought about diesels and other crates but really want to know a good solid engine that would fit perfectly, and even better that we may find at a scrap yard.

Thanks
UofMJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Rick
There is nothing bad about the 6 cyl it has lots of torque and is very reliable. As far as V-8's a AMC 360 will be your easiest swap. They are plentiful and cheap in most wrecking yards. All AMC v-8, 304,360,390,401 all use the same mounts,if you can find a CJ with AMC V-8 any of the engines will be a bolt in swap.

Last edited by CH3NO2; 04-06-2010 at 12:23 PM.
CH3NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Now whats cheap? and how much for them to pull the engine and tranny? Im sure we could do it, but seeing as we have never done it before we may be there all day and night

Rick whats your favorite engine, or ones that you know have the least problems?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

The best engine is one that is maintained well. I know people with 240 6 cyl. with well over 250,000 miles on them then again I have seen people blow them up within 100,000 miles. Locally here a used 360 goes for around $500 Another good way to go is find a junk FSJ (wagoneer,j20 pickup) with v8 in it most likely will be a 360 and will all the parts you need. What type of off roading are you guys going to be doing? Running sand dunes requires a lot of horsepower where as rock crawling requires more gears. Trail riding and daily street driving can be done with out much changes, if any. Maybe a mild lift and set of tires.

'76 CJ7 401,Crane Cam, Edelbrock High Rise, Holly Carb,TH400 Trans, Quadtrac with part time kit. Full Floating D20 With Hy-Tuf axles, Gleason/Torsen (Google It) Differential,Full Cage , Mastercraft Seats With 4 point harness's.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah mostly trail riding around town, maybe mudding. would like to load it up and go camping, so highway driving as well. but for now, no rock crawling and not even close to sand dunes! haha ill have to check some of the scrap yards around here and see what i can find. thanks for all the help so far!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

and from the looks of it, our camping adventures will be close to you - spring river
Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Spring river is nice this time of year...From the sounds of what you want to do I wouldn't go to wild with the engine mods maybe a mild lift and some 33" tires and go have some fun!!!

'76 CJ7 401,Crane Cam, Edelbrock High Rise, Holly Carb,TH400 Trans, Quadtrac with part time kit. Full Floating D20 With Hy-Tuf axles, Gleason/Torsen (Google It) Differential,Full Cage , Mastercraft Seats With 4 point harness's.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

haha yeah thats exactly my thoughts! but i may do 35's hehe, i just want something unique, i like my rides to stand out!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Name: kenneth
SBC's are plentiful and cheap. Parts are usually cheaper than most any other brand. Get a set of bolt on conversion mounts. (You have to cut off the pinion bumpstop on the frame) and they go right on.

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Brian
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Black Liberty
AMC 360 V8.. with Dual 4 BBL Carbs...

Flowmaster 40 w/Dual Dumps
Front Tow Hooks
No Spare Custom Gate
Rough Country 3" Lift with Nitro RC900 Shocks
Rancho RSX 17505 Front Struts
4-Firestone Destination A/T's 245/70/16
Optima Yellow Top D34/78
Custom Black Headliner
Custom Red/Black Texas Tech Seat Covers